Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human outsider, tie that bag!  (Read 1804 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Human outsider, tie that bag!
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »

Well, as the new update will be big and coming up in a handful of months, I decided to seize my already generated big continent before I have to generate again. And so, will be time for exploration, countless adventures and being encased in ice just after finishing my meaningless skill grind.

Case in point, I'll be travelling the lands as an outsiders. Nobody in town says a word about my nude ways, and I just discovered that if you attempt to fast travel just after starting to play, you get a free reveal of a lot of places that otherwise you should visit or ask to know about them (towns, hamlets, dark towers and fortresses are revealed this way, but camps and lairs aren't. Funny)

I got some rations in the shape of a bag full to the brim with berries, but for the sake of it I can't just set that bag to be my main backpack, so any time I want to grab something first I have to leave my spear on the floor, take the item, place it on the bag (if it isn't big enough for it) and repeat. Do I need an actual backpack to wear and avoid those steps, or is there a way to automatically place items in my bag? I've seen that backpacks and waterskins appear in some dungeons; also I'm not well versed in Macro knowledge, so there might be another way to solve my issue.

Thanks in beforehand. Will see how far I get with Aspsa Shadyrogue.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Human outsider, tie that bag!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:59:47 pm »

Here, you can use these reactions to clean an animal hide and make a backpack from it, since they are hard to get in adventure mode as an outsider.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just go in to your DF folder, go to the data folder, the save folder, the proper region, and then go into the raw folder, go to the object folder, scroll down and find the "reaction_other" file and place the code somewhere in there.

I know it sounds complicated, but then you can make a backpack out of any animal skin, and you won't even need to gen a new world.

EDIT: I haven't tested this one, but this reaction I just made might be able to turn your bag directly into a backpack.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, I haven't tested it, use with caution.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:05:46 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »

Thank you! I found a backpack inside a human fort and it just works as pleasantly expected, I hung it on my upper body armor and grabbed items would land right there. I'll use those reactions with my next outsider, now that this one just died in a dungeon filled with goblin bandits; she managed to solo before a whole group of humans in the wilderness, and even with a lodged arrow on her heart they were all slain with a meager copper spear. The mortal heart wound healed as soon as I entered Fast Travel, but such exploits weren't enough for her next challenge (also, she had an infected wound on her arm and it never healed, no matter which body of water I got into. Was that dangerous on the long term?).

As always, those were fun times.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »

Well. happy to help your next adventurer, anyways, maybe you could find your own corpse and stuff it in your new backpack :)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:54 am »

The infection will not be helped by water.  Does anyone know if you can get soap from an abandoned fort and actually use it to cure infections in adventure mode?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?