Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Empire State Building mass shooting  (Read 5518 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire State Building mass shooting
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2012, 10:45:25 am »

*snip*

Thus the whole 'stop panicking you're meant to be a professional' thing, 'cause as a policeman, he should know better than to spray and pray, even if his own life is at risk, because spraying and praying on a crowded street is almost definitely going to be hitting bystanders, as it did. The fact that he did just fire recklessly during a panic indicates more training for handling stressful situations is needed; it's really only luck he didn't kill more people than the original shooter.

On this note, I'm gonna opinionate that the officer may have had some poor training and/or lack of experience with guns(held by potentially hostile strangers) pointed at him...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2012, 04:01:50 am »

Well, I'm thinking that's rather obvious.
The thing is, are those the sort of police officers needed to respond to such a situation?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2012, 04:13:34 am »

Experience always trumps training though. You cant exactly predict how someone will react in these situations. There also numerous outside factors that may be at hand with how the situation was handle. Did he just have a random late night the night before, worked two shifts, had some recent stressful interpersonal issues, capel tunnel issue causing hand cramps?

Police can't exact perfect control over a chaotic situation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2012, 04:20:38 am »

Yeah, they probably need more training, but I can't really blame them for panicking when someone pull a gun at them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2012, 07:41:52 am »

Well, I'm thinking that's rather obvious.
The thing is, are those the sort of police officers needed to respond to such a situation?
If I remember correctly, they were pretty much on the scene already... as in the closest at hand.  And yes, being cops, its still their job to respond.  It ain't a "Oh no, I'm not up for this, so I'm gonna hide here and let the guy walk away" thing... 
I'm pretty sure it was reasonable of them to follow the guy too...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]