Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: asymetrical cousins  (Read 1971 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
asymetrical cousins
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:39:48 am »

Some migrants just arrived. One of them (Urdim) claims that other (Kadol) is her cousin, while Kadol does not have Urdim listed in her relationships at all. I always though that if (A is cousin to B) then (B is cousin to A).

What gives?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: asymetrical cousins
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:04:16 am »

Maybe Urdim has a syndrome of spiked teeth?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 06:08:46 am »

Strange. Do they share a set of grandparents?

Like you I assumed "cousin" here meant first cousin of the same generation, but maybe it means it in the more general sense. There are some relationships that currently show up one way but not the other (like grandparent/grandchild, for example).

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 06:12:44 am »

I'd guess incomplete worldgen/history or one of of the parents died before the other. Might be worth keeping an eye on, just in case it's not a bug and it's something worse :D

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:14:12 am »

Maybe Urdim has a syndrome of spiked teeth?

They both came with Husbands and they are quite unremarkable. If Urdim have a teeth problem - she hides it well.

Strange. Do they share a set of grandparents?

They share granparents(maternal and paternal), so mother of Kadol was a siter to fater of Urdim.
I checked it in legends viewer and it is really so.

I'd guess incomplete worldgen/history or one of of the parents died before the other. Might be worth keeping an eye on, just in case it's not a bug and it's something worse :D
Legends viewer confirms their genealogy, thus I assume history is complete.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:26:12 am by TeleDwarf »

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 06:47:32 am »

She's probably a witch, run some tests.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 06:50:26 am »

Can you check that italic bit, or rather the death date of the mother of Kadol, against the birth date of Urdim. It's possible the check for relatives doesn't follow through dead relative connections. I think that is what AutomataKittay is getting at anyway.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:04:24 am »

Can you check that italic bit, or rather the death date of the mother of Kadol, against the birth date of Urdim. It's possible the check for relatives doesn't follow through dead relative connections. I think that is what AutomataKittay is getting at anyway.

Yeah, that is one of my suspicion, that the 'known relatives' check backtrack through those that's still alive/known at birth. I doubt it, but it seems plausible to me. That or the one with cousin relationship had one of the parent turned into a nightspawn. Who knows, it's worth backtracking, it still could be a bug of incomplete tracking.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:19:06 am »

Their grandfather. Still Alive.
Alath Craftcave is a male dwarf born in 43.
Caste: Male
Type: Glazer
He was attacked and wounded by a dragon in 43. He is a member of The Oily Sect in the mountainhomes. Otherwise he is absolutely unremarkable.

Their Grandmother. Still alive.
Rimtar Fortresstwist is a female dwarf born in 42.
Caste: Female
Type: Hammerman
She is a member of The Oily Sect. Otherwise she is absolutely unremarkable.

Urdim's father.
Tosid Oakcloister was a male dwarf born in 68 and died in 112 (Struck) by the dragon Palath Goldpearl the Brand of Wealth.
Caste: Male
Type: Standard
Also member of The Oily Sect. He fled from a titan and was killed by a dragon. Otherwise he is unremarcable.

Kadol's Mother. Still alive.
Sodel Focusedbodice is a female dwarf born in 62.
Type: Fishery Worker
She is "Position 5" in The Oily Sect[The Oily Sect (Position 5, 90-Present) ], which is "Seat of Power (1)". Otherwise she is unremarkable.

Kadol. Still alive.
Kadol Oiledguards is a female dwarf born in 80.
Type: Fish Cleaner
She is a member of The Oily Sect.

Urdim. Still Alive.
Urdim Canyondipped is a female dwarf born in 86.
Type: Fish Cleaner
She is a member of The Oily Sect.

looks like both ladies were born after their uncles/aunts and before anything interesting happened(death by dragon, ascention to power in some sect or whatever The Oily Sect is.)

Any ideas?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:23:39 am »

Interesting to note that the one that claims other as cousin's father died before the migration, at least that's what I'm understanding. Otherwise I've no idea.

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:35:21 am »

Probably just a glitch in the fortress. I'd just forget it and move on, but you could log it in the bugtracker if you wish.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:03 am »

Probably just a glitch in the fortress. I'd just forget it and move on, but you could log it in the bugtracker if you wish.

proper bugreport should have clear "steps to reproduce". For now I only have one fortress.
Moreover Toady have things in his backlog that I would like him to implement rather then fix some random minor bug.

Comunity, on the other hand, have pretty little to do, and if this is just about one dwarf died during worldgen - it should be pretty common.

BTW, Kadol recognizes Tosid as an uncle, but none of his children as cousins.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:37 am »

proper bugreport should have clear "steps to reproduce". For now I only have one fortress.
Moreover Toady have things in his backlog that I would like him to implement rather then fix some random minor bug.

Comunity, on the other hand, have pretty little to do, and if this is just about one dwarf died during worldgen - it should be pretty common.

BTW, Kadol recognizes Tosid as an uncle, but none of his children as cousins.

Surprisingly few of migrants to fortress had their parents/grandparents dying from what I've seen during my history research on a couple worlds (granted, pocket worlds don't have much happening ), I've not bothered to check relationships so it's possible that it's common enough. It does seems like something that almost nobody would notice unless they actually tries to make a hertiage chart of their fort (Lots of work there! ).

I'd not put it past a very minor tracking bug not recognizing the children of someone that died before migration :D