Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Status Overview: Stocks - Sorting  (Read 599 times)

Lagash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Status Overview: Stocks - Sorting
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:36:37 pm »

Hey, as you may guess: I'm a noob (running my fourth fortress at the moment, those "funny" necro-sieges...)

I'm here to ask if there's a way to discriminate "worn" items in the stocks list of the Status overview (z).

To be more specific: I've tons of naked dwarven children running through my hole, while I was mass-producing dresses/trousers/shoes I've opened the stocks to see if there were clothes not used in some stockpile.
Most of the stuff was "light grey" and not forbidden nor dumped, but viewing (v) it showed that was already owned by someone.

so... is there any command yelling at me "I'm down here, just click me!" in order to display owned and free items separately?

I'm doing it (sort of) by designing separate stockpiles dedicated to different pieces of clothing but it wouldn't be bad to see, in a column next to the items, something like "Free" or "Urist McLeaveThoseKidsNaked".

In the while let me point a possible exploit I've seen with this situation: while breaking stuff around (tantrum) a kid has destroyed my depot that was hosting an elven caravan... and I've collected a nice amount of goods :)

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my english ::) )

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Status Overview: Stocks - Sorting
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:00:21 pm »

Well, kind of. In the stocks category of the status screen, you could choose clothing and press (Tab). That displays each individual item including the quality modifier (tattered clothing is marked with x). It's a bit easier to sort stuff, but you still don't know the ownership.

However, fresh clothing should be claimed and worn automatically (if it's available, that is), and ownership of the old stuff should expire. Are you playing the latest version?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:39:53 pm »

In the while let me point a possible exploit I've seen with this situation: while breaking stuff around (tantrum) a kid has destroyed my depot that was hosting an elven caravan... and I've collected a nice amount of goods :)

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my english ::) )
Destroying the depot, while a fast way to take everything caravans own, is not really considered an exploit. This is because caravans only care about the amount that they enter and leave the map with (not the amount you traded with them for), and as such will register this at the exact same level as if you had simply seized all of their goods. (There is an additional modifier then thrown on top of this if any of the merchants die while on your map.) This then determines how much they will bring you next year when the come to trade again as well as helping to determine if/when they declare war on you.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lagash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:11 pm »

Well, kind of. In the stocks category of the status screen, you could choose clothing and press (Tab). That displays each individual item including the quality modifier (tattered clothing is marked with x). It's a bit easier to sort stuff, but you still don't know the ownership.

However, fresh clothing should be claimed and worn automatically (if it's available, that is), and ownership of the old stuff should expire. Are you playing the latest version?

V34.10 - I'll keep crafting then, till I see the dedicated stockpiles receiving something at least (goblins are helping me for this now :D )
now the main problem are the tattered left around, but I'll try to figure out by myself why hauler dedicated dwarves doesn't dump them (even if they're inside)

Destroying the depot, while a fast way to take everything caravans own, is not really considered an exploit. This is because caravans only care about the amount that they enter and leave the map with (not the amount you traded with them for), and as such will register this at the exact same level as if you had simply seized all of their goods. (There is an additional modifier then thrown on top of this if any of the merchants die while on your map.) This then determines how much they will bring you next year when the come to trade again as well as helping to determine if/when they declare war on you.

... I'm raising a "naked warmonger" generation  8)

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:17:52 am »

Ironically, in destroying your depot you've just invalidated the easiest way to get rid of all those worn items: trading.  If you 'q' over the depot and then 'g' to bring goods to depot, you can hit 's' and type in a word or partial word, and only goods matching what you type will be displayed.  Since 'x' isn't used much aside from designating worn goods, it makes a very easy way to bring all worn goods to the trade depot where you can exchange them for more valuable items (or for birch leggings if you are so inclined).

The truth is that in a mature fortress, trading is more valuable as a way to get rid of crap than as a way to acquire it.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?