Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New-ish player, (very) minor issue, and looking for opinions on my layouts  (Read 589 times)

dominusnovus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello all,

I've been playing now for the better part of a month (I think; I haven't gone outside recently, I keep track of time by how often my fiancee asks me how my fort is doing), and I've gotten a pretty good hang of things.  I want to ask people's opinions on three matters.

1) Most importantly, I always end up getting inspired for better way to layout my fortress around the time my second year comes around.  So, I quit that fortress and start a new one (usually in a new world).  Rinse, wash, repeat.  I've yet to actually watch a fortress lose, as my perfectionist nature just keeps on egging me to try something else from scratch.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my attention focused on one fortress?  The longest I ran a fortress was my first desert fortress, which happened to have a volcano and *very* tall waterfall (something like 30 z levels), and I finally got attacked by a megabeast fairly early (probably helped that my dwarves kept on going nuts producing artifacts), but i dispatched him with ease (rather, my flood chamber/entrance did; the only challenge was waiting for it to drain; didn't realize how long that would take).  However, I didn't like how I laid out my entrance way, and caravans started to actually supply me enough wood, so the aesthetics and the challenge kinda dissipated.

2) I've come up with a fairly routine format for my fortresses, and I'm curious what others think about it.  Basically, Its all centered around carving out hallways of 5x5 squares, with 3 tile wide connections (useful for bulkheads for gates made out of bridges when I want to seal off parts of the fortress, plus I like how it looks once the stones are smoothed; the idea of having regular pillars flanking my hallways appeals to me), that surround 11x11 rooms.  I prefer for my fortresses to be fairly vertical (ever since I learned I could designate orders across different z levels), as it allows me to save space.  I'll take two 11x11 rooms, stacked vertically, for any particular industry.  So, I'll have 4 mason workshops in one room, with their particular output stockpile above (or below, whatever's closer to the trade depot/main level), and the supply stockpile surrounding them (I've never needed a large enough stockpile.  I used to do 2x2 bedrooms, in a greek-cross fashion, but I've grown fond of 3x3 bedrooms, as it matches the layout of the rest of the fortress better (I can fit 8 of them per 11x11 section).  The nobility get 11x11 rooms (inclusive of their offices and personal dining rooms), segmented as I see fit.  Once things get slightly large-ish, I take the time to designate all my main hallways as high traffic, and the workshops, stockpiles, and bedrooms, as low traffic.  Overall, what do people think of this general layout?  I know its not the most space-efficient, but I like giving my dwarfs lots of room to maneuver around each other, and its still easy to create choke-points for defense.

3) For trade purposes, what do people think the best way to get ride of excess stone is?  I'm torn between mechanisms, craft goods, and cabochons.  Mechanisms are nice and valuable, but relatively heavy; I don't really focus on a craft industry much usually (other than  to give my crazy dwarves someplace to go while they go nuts), and cabochon's are my preferred way of training jewelers, but, for the most part, not too valuable.  Thoughts?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

1. Hmm... There are two ways to go about this I can immediately think of. One is to forget about the new, better layout (because as a wise Fishbulb once put it, efficiency can get stuffed), or find some way to implement / add your new layout. And if all else fails, just dig deeper and start anew. I seem to have the opposite effect on me, where I can stick to a single world for updates on end...
Also 2 years in might be a bit early to say the challenge is over :P
2. I can't judge it, but it sounds great to me!
3. I remember at one point when the caravans arrived, my craftsdwarves were working too slowly so I just offered the merchants all the boulders I could get hauled. Cabochons seem like the best way to go if you want to get rid of stone (hauled in bins - easy trading), but if you want to actually trade some good Urists worth of stuff you should pick up a crafting industry of some sorts, like stone/cloth crafts.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Can't really answer the first two, other than if you get bored of being 'routine', you could try different industries that you don't focuses much on and using ramps instead of stairs. Any layouts pretty much 'works' as long as hauling distance aren't too far, I usually have 2x2 stairway all the way down and 2 wide hall with very localized industries and scattered bedroom and dining rooms. Not very efficient in term of pleasing them, but it let me spread things out easier. I don't really focuses on making things look good, though.

For 3, my preferred method of getting rid of stone is to turn them into mugs, roughly similar average value as mechanism and much lighter even with thrice as much mugs around. I rarely focuses on mechanisms unless I really need to make lots of them and ends up with excess to trade away since their weight makes them less valuable than mugs to me. I've not tried cabochons, but they seems like good idea to reduce the 'clutter' by decorating everything :D

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

1) Most importantly, I always end up getting inspired for better way to layout my fortress around the time my second year comes around.  So, I quit that fortress and start a new one (usually in a new world).  Rinse, wash, repeat.  I've yet to actually watch a fortress lose, as my perfectionist nature just keeps on egging me to try something else from scratch.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my attention focused on one fortress?

Easy. Abandon the fortress. Go into Legends mode, and press 'p'. That exports a world_gen_param file in the Dwarf Fortress folder. Open it, copy the contents, and paste into <DF folder>\data\init\worldgen.txt. Give it a name in the bracketed line at the top of the block of text. Then start DF, create a new world with advanced parameters, pick your world, and recreate it. It will be exactly the same as the previous world. If you need to check your embark location, try to reclaim your previous fortress, and it will show you where it is on the map. Now you can start over and do it right.

I do this all too often, but it can be very satisfying.

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Better yet, build an incredibly unefficient fortress and breach hell. Awesome every time.
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I personally got hooked on DF DESIGNATOR  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87731.0

Save your fort layouts in picture form.  Edit with something free like Paint.net, paste that sucker into your game.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile

Remember: irregular and organic fortresses tend to be much more fun.