Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: NTDB Challenge!  (Read 2303 times)

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NTDB Challenge!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 01:19:58 pm »

I usually play variants of this, so it wasn't too difficult to go all the way. 

Moments after I arrived, a congress of undead ravens started attacking a giant sponge in the river. 

Entrance is full of 50 sets of repeating spikes (10 green glass spikes each, using this repeater) with a 3 wide longer path for caravans.  First necro-siege was quickly eliminated by the small military, and the bodies fed to the incinerator.  (No atom smashers make 100% reanimating embarks a bit more challenging, as I discovered last fortress.)  The only bridges in use are for magma flow control, although I plan to use them for water control as well.  I haven't figured out a way to keep diplomats and such off of the spike traps, so for the moment, a hatch has to suffice, but the alternate path can't be closed, so there is always a path in. 

A couple of years pass.  The four undead ravens attacking the giant sponge were joined by a flock of 13 undead keas at some point.  A second necro siege arrived just as the spiked entrance was completed, and was quickly turned to paste.  They keep trying to reanimate every so often, but quickly get re-perforated. 

One more year passes, and FPS drops even more.  I had to abandon.  The undead birds and giant sponge never did finish their battle.  I'm guessing that had something to do with the FPS drop, although I have no idea how. 

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 11:52:07 pm »

incinerator?

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 01:07:41 am »

Basically a corpse/refuse stockpile that accepts everything that can reanimate (except skin which I tan) and anything else I wish to get rid of, like vermin corpses.  It's set to accept bones from any creature that can grasp, to get rid of hand bones while keeping most of the useful bones.  That was painful to set up.  Next to the pile is a 2 z-level deep 3x3 hole surrounded by fortifications (with one opening).  In the opening, I put a track stop, and set a haul route to take from the corpse stockpile, same items.  Second floor is surrounded by fortifications, so that if anything happens to reanimate before burning, I can put a few bolts into it and give it another chance to burn.  Third floor down is magma.  Second floor is normally empty unless I need to put something down, to prevent magma mist related incidents. 

Note that if you put the mine-cart and stockpile one level above the magma, large corpses will create magma mist, usually incinerating the dwarf which dumped the body.  Also, I've had the a kea reanimate after being dumped, but before being incinerated.  It flew out of the incinerator and upset my biohazard disposal teams. 

And that's how I dispose of biohazardous waste without an atom smasher.  Best part is that there's no micromanagement; everything is automatically incinerated, unless it revives before making it there. 

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 01:34:14 am »

This challenge can be defeated with a artifact door
:/
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 01:56:47 am »

Easy way to avoid challenge breaking: Don't use an artifact door to block off your entrances.

Veeeery easy.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 08:51:43 am »

"there should always be a gate (doors, floodgates, etc.) that leave a path into the fortress if the enemy has building destroyers."

TxJBxT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 03:26:18 am »

I do this right now aside from weapon traps but even without them I wouldn't have a problem. Its been 5 in game years so far and all I'b gotten are a handful of ambushes. No sieges sadly.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 08:04:56 am »

A couple of years pass.  The four undead ravens attacking the giant sponge were joined by a flock of 13 undead keas at some point. 

That must be one very annoyed sponge.
The irony of invincibility.
(a>b) ? false : true
Pages: 1 [2]