Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do dwarves hate mashed snakes?  (Read 1586 times)

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why do dwarves hate mashed snakes?
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:36:25 am »

I have a small problem, my butcher refuses to chop up anything my military kills. Am I doing something wrong or are my axedwarves mashing the wildlife too much?

Feel free to derail this thread after the question is answered.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Why do dwarves hate mashed snakes?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:49:23 am »

Anything too small don't get butchered, like rabbits and ducks :D

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Make a List of Everything Dwarves Won't Eat
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:57:25 am »

Dwarves won't eat sentient things, like animal-men/women or anything that can get a profession. I learned that the hard way, all the kea women killed and still starved. I think that vermin, as mentioned, won't be butchered either. Nor pets.

EDIT: Those aren't vermin that were mentioned. Not that it matters, military won't kill vermin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:00:01 am by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:09:59 am »

Ok thanks I guess the snakes I've been killing are kinda small.

Feel free to derail as of now.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:17:14 am »

You need a refuse stockpile not too far from your butcher and you have to enable the gathering of refuse outside your fortress (o-r-o) in order to get it hauled.
Some snakes can be butchered, I'm sure. My hunter recently brought rattlesnake or such.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:25:41 am »

^ Copperheads, adders and kingsnakes are butcherable if hunted.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »

You may have killed critters set to forbidden.  Check your (o)rders menu under both the refuse and forbid items and make sure that your kills are available.  I send military out as replacement hunters frequently so there is no fundamental problem.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

ASnogarD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:01:55 pm »

Carefull with those orders, can suddenly result in all your dwarves piling out the fortress and fill up a refuse pile in a hurry ... I tend to have a atom smasher ready before I play with (o)rders , d-b-d my refuse pile a few times (guess you dont really need a smasher as a single garbage zone can hold infinite amounts of rubbish... its more an escuse to dabble with science, dwarven science ).

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:21:24 pm »

don't you mean !!science!!? Well anyway I found it was just the orders set to forbidden. Thanks for the help.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:56:06 am »

I found out that bunnies weren't useful the hard way too. They bread like cats, but the only thing you get when you slaughter them is bunny skulls. Too small to get a decent stew out of them apparently, regardless of what Samwise says. On the other hand, that excercise did train up my butchering skills, so maybe it's good practice.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:58:26 am »

might be too small, but otherwise make sure you've set a refuse and corpse pile near your butcher, set dwarves to collect outside refuse/corpses. once it's in the refuse pile your butcher should be able to go and grab it.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:58:37 am »

You can order a pet to be butchered if you kill its owner first.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:39:32 pm »

You can order a pet to be butchered if you kill allow its owner to pass from this mortal coil by means mysterious or other first.
fixed

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:33 pm »

I found out that bunnies weren't useful the hard way too. They bread like cats, but the only thing you get when you slaughter them is bunny skulls. Too small to get a decent stew out of them apparently, regardless of what Samwise says. On the other hand, that excercise did train up my butchering skills, so maybe it's good practice.
Not just practice. You can make a totem industry.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »

Carefull with those orders, can suddenly result in all your dwarves piling out the fortress and fill up a refuse pile in a hurry ... I tend to have a atom smasher ready before I play with (o)rders , d-b-d my refuse pile a few times (guess you dont really need a smasher as a single garbage zone can hold infinite amounts of rubbish... its more an escuse to dabble with science, dwarven science ).

Use a quantum refuse pile.  Takes up as few as 3 tiles (but I usually go 3x3).  Fits infinite number of corpses / remains / whatever.

Code: [Select]
.>Q

. = source pile, no bins
> = track stop that dumps in the direction of Q
Q = same settings as source pile, no bins

Define a route and a stop on top of the ">" pile, set the stop to take from the source pile, remove all "depart" conditions from the stop, and allow it to accept all forms of refuse.