Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [RP]Freedom - Fame and Fortune (3/4)  (Read 5396 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RP]Freedom - Fame and Fortune (3/4)
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »

GO back and begin building a basic shelter from the wood I collected, use the trees on the outer edge of the forest to my advantage so as to reduce the amount needed, and time spent building.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »

Things were most certainly going better than expected. Maybe one day he could become a worthy adventurer. Or something

Buy more food and move to the tailor. Buy shoes, a backpack to be tied to the lower back and maybe reasonable, if cheap, commoner clothing if there is still enough money for it without the need for expending even the part which would be used to pay for the night's stay at the inn.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 07:45:24 pm »

(I just want to stop and describe the scene... You're completely naked and you haven't eaten in two days. You're hunting rabbits with the torn up remnants of a shirt and some coins that were donated to you... This is crazy...)
((You know what they say: When life gives you lemons, strip naked and sling money at wildlife))

Thank the farmer for his hospitality, then offer him a deal:
If he allows me to stay on his property for free, I'll share whatever I manage to catch on my hunting trips.

Regardless of whether or not he accepts, search around for some suitable slinging rocks and head back into the wilderness for another hunt.
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »

GO back and begin building a basic shelter from the wood I collected, use the trees on the outer edge of the forest to my advantage so as to reduce the amount needed, and time spent building.

You eat some rations for breakfast and set out for the clearing you were in yesterday. [(5)=5 Near Success] After a long time spent searching, you stumble across it. You think it would be pretty easy to make a pretty competent-looking shelter out of these branches and tree limbs. [(3)+4=7 Success!] You lean some thick limbs against a tree, and make a sort of lean-to. [(8)+4=12 Epic Success!] Then you cover it with leafy branches. You figure the wind and the rain will be deflected by the foliage. It's about four feet tall and six feet wide with a depth of three feet. [(6)+4=10 Epic Success!] You even had enough extra branches to make a decent looking bed. You feel good about your shelter as you eat some rations for lunch.

You can't think of anything else to do, so you sit around in your new hut and watch the wildlife. You eat the last of the rations that night and fall asleep in your makeshift bed.

Things were most certainly going better than expected. Maybe one day he could become a worthy adventurer. Or something
Buy more food and move to the tailor. Buy shoes, a backpack to be tied to the lower back and maybe reasonable, if cheap, commoner clothing if there is still enough money for it without the need for expending even the part which would be used to pay for the night's stay at the inn.

You figure that today is a good day to buy some shoes like a regular, civilized person. You eat some rations for breakfast and head out to the market for more food. You figure two rations will do well, and the guy recognizes you from before. He offers the same deal and you pass over another silver. Now you have three rations, but only two hands! [(5)+2=7 Success!] You take your shirt off and make a sort of sling with it to put stuff in. After working at it for a bit, you finally have something to hold your stuff. Better invest in a backpack...

You wander on over to the tailor and ask him how much it would cost to get some shoes and a backpack. He looks you over and then opens a chest behind the counter. He pulls out a pair of +Leather Work-Boots and puts them on the table, he also puts a Backpack on the table next to them. He offers them for three and a half silver. [(6)=6 Success!] You squint at him and ask that he throws in a set of clothes as well. He grumbles something about not being as dumb as you look and he goes and gets a Cloth Shirt and Cloth Pants from the chest. He puts them on the counter and you place down the money. You smile as you go into the dressing room and change into your new clothes. They fit much better, and they don't rub on your skin! You feel like a king! Well, compared to how you felt at least.

You put your old commoner clothing and the rations in your new backpack. Then you go back to the inn and pay for a room. You snack on meat rations and warm yourself by the fire... You didn't even have to use your arms today... Now this is the life...

(I just want to stop and describe the scene... You're completely naked and you haven't eaten in two days. You're hunting rabbits with the torn up remnants of a shirt and some coins that were donated to you... This is crazy...)
((You know what they say: When life gives you lemons, strip naked and sling money at wildlife))

Thank the farmer for his hospitality, then offer him a deal:
If he allows me to stay on his property for free, I'll share whatever I manage to catch on my hunting trips.

Regardless of whether or not he accepts, search around for some suitable slinging rocks and head back into the wilderness for another hunt.

You wake up and graciously thank the farmer for his hospitality. When you propose your plan, he tries to restrain laughter. [(6)=6] He gives you a woodcutter's axe and tells you to be careful. You nod and set off.

You keep the axe in one of your belt-loops, and your sling across your shoulder. You search for some suitable rocks for slinging. [(4)=4 Near Success] You find two. You figure that will be enough. You set off into the forest...

Once you've reached the edge, you look for where you were before, when that bear tried to kill you. This time, you'd turn the tables... [(6)=6] You notice your old rope laying on the ground and pick it up. After tying it around your waist, you get in the same bush you were in before and look at the tree with the scratches on it. You see your old pants laying on the ground. [(5)=5] It's another couple hours before you see anything. You're getting hungry again. You start to hear loud steps in the distance... Crouching in the bush, you ready your axe... This time, with practiced precision, you'd overtake the bear! [(7)-1+2=8 Success!] He tromps into the same spot as before and starts gnawing on the berry bush. You slide out from behind the bush and start creeping up on the bear... [(7)-1+2=8 Success!] You swing your Woodcutter's Axe down into it's back and crush it's spine. The bear's lower half collapses as it rolls to swipe at you! [(5)-1+2=7 Success!] You jump away as the bear swipes at the air. You rear back for another swing! [(6)-1+2=7 Success!] Your Woodcutter's Axe strikes the bear in the upper body! The weapon is lodged in the wound! [(4)-1+2=5 Near Success] Rather than be pulled under the bear, you let go of the Woodcutter's axe as the bear rolls away. It tries to swipe at you a few more times, but it's bleeding too badly. It bleeds to death after a few more minutes of moaning. You try to figure out a way to drag the bear back to town... [(7)-1=6 Success!] You decide that it would be best to go back to that farmer and see if he'll help you load it onto a cart or something...

When you tell the farmer what you did, he's absolutely incredulous. He offers to help you take it back to his farm, then he also offers to skin it for you! He's had a lot of opportunity to learn how from butchering his own cattle. You load up a cart with ropes and head out into the forest. [(9)-1=8 Success!] You find the corpse with little difficulty and the farmer helps you load it onto his horse-drawn cart. After some effort, you finally get it all on. You feel pretty sleepy after working hard all day. The farmer offers to make you dinner, and also offers to let you stay in the hay loft for free tonight. You accept his generous offer of hospitality and he tells you that he'll be done skinning the bear by noon tomorrow. Then he'll dry the meat and give you the pelt to sell to the tanner.

With work and payment to look forward to tomorrow, you sleep soundly tonight...

End of day stats:
Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: King DZA (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:55:16 am by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:02 pm »

Now properly attired, Barthole noticed people didn't turn their eyes away from him in disgust. Life would probably get better as he got cleaner and managed to get better clothing.

And maybe now the blacksmith could actually teach him something aside from menial work, maybe? At least his arms would probably grow used to the hard work, though.

Go to the smithy and offer to work for him again. If my performance is satisfactory, ask if he can teach smithing.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »

Go back into town and buy some shoes, another two days of dried meat, and a knife if possible.
If I find that man I helped at the smithy offer to let him live at my hut, of course we'd need to expand but two hands is better then one.
If I have time left gather more branches, make a few animal trap, and build onto my tent/lean-to/thing.

OOC: Can I get details on the house I made in my spoiler? it'd be helpful to see what I need to expand on and such.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:31 pm »

A worthy opponent, that bear. Sure, we had our ups and downs, but were we really that different? Almost seems like a shame to give up its skin when it symbolizes such a large personal accomplishment...

If I cannot get at least five gold for the skin, keep it as a wrap to carry my stuff in (and later to have it made into a cloak). Go out on yet another hunt, while keeping an eye out for an bear cubs I may have inadvertently orphaned.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 02:25:41 pm »

My browser has crashed twice whilst writing this turn, so please bare with me... Basically, I've typed out the whole turn twice, and lost it all due to some sort of crash... I'm furious at this point, so please don't be sad if your turn seems minimalist...

Go to the smithy and offer to work for him again. If my performance is satisfactory, ask if he can teach smithing.

New clothes feel good. You eat breakfast and go to the smithy. You ask him if he'll actually teach you something this time. He mentions that you HAVE learned something in the way of blacksmithing, you've been doing it for three days! Wait, what's that? Learning?

NEW SYSTEM UNLOCKED... Skills.

I put it in the OP, and I can't be bothered to paste it here again.

You are now an Apprentice Blacksmith! Good job. You can get unshaped metal from salvaging metal stuff and you can shape the metal into ingots then shape them into things like nails, cups, pans, etc. You'll need some more training before you feel confident making something like a weapon or some armor though, of course that won't stop you from trying... The blacksmith mentions that if you want him to teach you to make weapons, you'll probably need to practice a few times. He offers to sell you practice ingots for a silver a piece. You decline, and offer to work the bellows again.

You do that for half of the day, then eat lunch. While eating lunch, one of the guys you escaped that noble's place with shows up to talk. He says he is making a house in the wilderness and you're free to join him. You mention that you have a bunch of money due to your recent successes as a blacksmith. He shrugs and wanders back into the forest.

You finish your day doing the smithing thing and get paid the usual. Oh boy, your arms feel really weird... Like they're getting stronger or something. Better sleep on it...

And sleep you do, in the inn, for 5 copper. Goodnight.

Go back into town and buy some shoes, another two days of dried meat, and a knife if possible.
If I find that man I helped at the smithy offer to let him live at my hut, of course we'd need to expand but two hands is better then one.
If I have time left gather more branches, make a few animal trap, and build onto my tent/lean-to/thing.

You eat some breakfast before going to town to get more food. The butcher sells you the two dried meat rations for 1 silver piece. You go to the tailor, who gives you some crap about being the third barefoot person to come into his store this week. You ask for shoes and he looks you over before setting a pair of Leather Moccasins on the table. He says that they'll cost you a silver piece. You frown as you slide over your last silver piece and try on the shoes. Mmm... Comfy...

You leave the tailor's shop and head back to your shanty. It's still pretty much the same. You figure there's enough room in it for two people to stand up, or maybe one person to lay down.... Or maybe four people to lay down all on top of eachother, but they wouldn't be comfy. You work on getting some more wood together. [(5)=5 Near Success!] After a few hours, you think you've got another 20 or so branches together that you think you could use to build something. You start by knocking out the wall of your shanty thingy and adding on a bit. [(10)=10 Epic Success!] Even without nails, this thing is rock solid. You managed to add another big section to it and cover that with some more foliage. It's now a 6'x6'x6' enclosure with a lean-to style roof. Now you could easily throw a forest orgy, or whatever you wanted! You feel very accomplished.

You salvage the rest of the wood and try to make some traps. [(7)=7 Success!] You manage to make two good traps with bits of branch and stuff. They're probably big enough to catch a raccoon or a squirrel. After dinner, you head to bed. Tomorrow can only get better!

If I cannot get at least five gold for the skin, keep it as a wrap to carry my stuff in (and later to have it made into a cloak). Go out on yet another hunt, while keeping an eye out for an bear cubs I may have inadvertently orphaned.

The farmer wakes you up the next morning and takes you to his kitchen. A bear fur, all wrapped up and tied with a strap, sits on the kitchen table, which is mostly covered in blood. He mentions that the skin would have been better if you hadn't killed the bear by hitting it with an axe to death... You shrug, it seemed like the best option at the time. The farmer sighs and makes bear-steak for breakfast. After breakfast, you take the fur to the leatherworker to see what it will fetch.

Once arriving, the leatherworker takes the bundle and looks it over. He says that because it's all ripped up, he'll give you a gold piece for it. That's more money than you've ever seen... Even still, you frown and shake your head. You ask for 5 gold pieces, and he starts laughing at you. He hands you the bear pelt and says that you'd need to bring three pelts like this one to make that much money. You frown and leave.

You put your head through the hole of the bear pelt where your axe smashed through its spine. It fits well as a sort of -Bearskin Pancho. You carry your axe in one hand and your sling in the other. You look pretty awesome... You go back out to the forest to hunt. [(10)=10 Epic Success!] This hunting thing is REALLY easy... First, you came up on a deer and it didn't even see you. You managed to take it out with an axe to the head. [(2)=2 Failure] Sadly, it let out a very long death croak and drew a pack of wolves to the scene! [(9)=9 Success!] You chase them off with a few swipes from your axe and you drag the corpse of the deer from the forest. You get it back to the farmer and he offers to skin it again. This is a pretty profitable venture, you think... You have more bear steak for dinner and go sleep in his loft again.

End of day stats:
Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: King DZA (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:22:47 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »

OOC: I suggest getting firefox and lazarus, never again shall you lose a turn to a crash of your browser!

Place the two traps, and build a small fire pit a few feet in front of my shanty house. gather stones to line the inside of it, and a stockpile of branches to keep a fire going at night. If I have time go see if I can get a job mining for the day.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 03:05:11 pm »

((I worked but got no silver coins, can I assume I gained the usual? Also, Firefox and the Lazarus add-on help, as adwarf said.))

Barthole thinks about the happenings of the day, considering how his life's outlook looks way better now. Since the other escapee hasn't been working in the blacksmith, it may be about time to help him with something. They are both brothers in escape or something along those lines.

Give the escapee who has a house in the forest one silver coin, then move over to the blacksmith and work more. If there is still enough time after getting the day's pay, buy one ingot from him and train blacksmithing.
>Yes?
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 04:03:50 pm »

((I worked but got no silver coins, can I assume I gained the usual?))
Yeah, sorry about that. I was rushing the turn because of frustration.

Fuxed.
Hey, look what I did!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »

Sell the deerskin and some of the meat for whatever I can get for it, then collect some more rocks and practice with my sling and axe a bit before heading out on another hunt.
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 11:30:22 pm »

Helping my grandparents put in a new driveway. Be back on my birthday (the 12th).
Hey, look what I did!
Pages: 1 [2]