Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer troubles  (Read 395 times)

Bhargo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Aquifer troubles
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:59:08 pm »

So I genned a new world that seems to be almost entirely covered in aquifers. The only place I found that didn't have an aquifer was haunted, so not wanting to deal with that, I just embarked on a nice looking spot and planned to use the plug method to breach it.

This is where I hit a snag. Every time I try to drop a plug into the aquifer, the section I cave in magically transforms into the aquifer levels soil type, and becomes an aquifer as well. So far I have tried a dozen times, on different embarks, and each time the same thing happens. Anyone have any tips on how to breach the aquifer that doesn't rely on cave ins?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:05:53 pm by Bhargo »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.msg2060636#msg2060636

The above link is the double slit method for pumping an aquifer, and is generally the most efficient method for pumping that I've seen.

Though for the cave-in method, I know it works in the latest version of df, my current fort breached its aquifer by cave-in. So it is something you are doing wrong with it, perhaps a few screenshots or diagrams of your setup will allow for some of us to help troubleshoot your cave-in.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer troubles
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:20:48 pm »

Look up aquifer on the wiki, and there is a method involving pumps... I'm currently trying to breach my first aquifer now, and have been strongly relying on it
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together