Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Longest standing fortress  (Read 4831 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Longest standing fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »

I measure the longevity of my fortress not in years, but in tantrum spirals. For some reason, starting after the first 10 years, every 5 years, there will be a devastating tantrum spiral taking out at least 60% of the population, that will then almost immediately settle down to everyone becoming ecstatic again (due to excellent living conditions and their grief wearing off). The population quickly refills from migrants due to the immense wealth of the fortress. This 'reset' allows the fortress to seemingly continue eternally.
My oldest for I remember lasted 6 spirals, putting it at approximately 40 years in age.

Why is that? Did you forget to make clothes or something?

Sieges and ambushes mostly, I'm sure to always keep abundant spare clothing.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 05:03:48 pm »

I had a fort go for about 20 years before I got bored and deleted it, it was also really messy.
I play on making a more ascetically pleasing fort next time.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 05:29:49 pm »

i haven't played for more than 7 years. the fps kills me, so i spend five years on my fort each time trying to make the most kills with minecarts that will still kill my adventure guy when i visit.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »

14 years. On a volcanic frozen mountain. Had the addition of the snakemen race and werewolf race. My first fort that pretty well focused exclusively on military defense. A squad of hammerdorfs, a squad of speardorfs, and 4 squads of marksdorfs. I built shooting towers all over the map and my marksdorfs were brutally effective. The melee squads only ever got to bat clean up. I also built the fort in the first layer of the caverns, since that was were the water was. Walled off a good section, made it nice and safe.

Until a firebreathing flying slug FB showed up. I still don't know how he got into the fort proper. There shouldn't have been any way to get from the unsafe portion of the caverns to the part I controlled. The entire army is 50 zlvls away, outside the fort, playing with the siegers. The slug busts into the dining room and sets dorfs ablaze! Everything is burning. I draft a militia to buy some time for the army to arrive. The militia is slaughtered. The speardorfs arrive! Yay! They slay the beast, but most of them die due to burns.

Over 40 dead. The rest, tantruming. The military working hard on putting down berserk dorfs. Levers are being thrown. The gates are open. The levers that refill the forts cisterns are open. The dining room and everything below it is being flooded...which at least put out the fires. Invaders are now within the fort. Slaughter continues. The fortress falls.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 11:20:56 am »

Ever since I learned about 2 dwarf squads my forts last as long as I want them to. My current one was done above ground to make it a little harder (and to preserve FPS) but it's getting rather depressing after 15 years or so. Population's capped at 150 in a 4x4 embark and FPS has been slowly creeping down from 100 to 80. Despite producing mainly food and having slaughtered all but ~20 animals my overclocked i5 can't keep the fortress from dying a slow and frustrating death.

Right now the only limit to my fortress' age is the fact that I'm too stubborn to turn temperature off. If I were to turn it off I guess I'd get a few more years out of it, at which point the limit would be whatever causes FPS death.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »

You've just talked me out of buying new computer, I guess I'll wait i7 gets cheaper.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »

My fortresses tend to last 12 years. At that point there is no longer a point to play, unless i find myself some busy work like a mega project... but i do not like doing those.

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »

this fort inspired me
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 09:51:01 pm »

57 years, in 31.25. There's nothing to do there really, and while I could build an outpost at the bottom of the map the framerate is dragging enough to make it unfun. Also I am getting no migrants at all, having gone even without an announcement for several years.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 04:06:21 pm »

Is that Boatmurdered?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »

Every single fort I start, I am aiming for 50+ years. I've made it past that point several times, usually only ending any particular fort's run when we get a new, non-save-compatible version of DF (or my computer dies).
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.
Pages: 1 [2]