Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about URIST  (Read 1202 times)

warthurton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • warthurton's Blog
Question about URIST
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:06:49 am »

I've been looking at the URIST project as talked about at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Stupid_dwarf_trick#U.R.I.S.T._Artificial_Intelligence

Most dwarves come to the fortress with at least some relationship to other dwarves.  How would you determine which dwarf to choose as the dwarfputer so that being apart and deaths would least affect him? 

Obviously you would have to take somebody immediately as they came into the fortress, but there still is some existing relationship.  Perhaps just killing the relationship person immediately while he is still super happy.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Question about URIST
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:23 am »

If what I'm reading in forum in general are accurate, you would put a vampire in. They don't need to eat, drink, nor sleep so they can be fully sealed in. And dwarves eventually forget their relationships, assuming things have not changed with 34. version, so it's more matter of time.

You would just need some expensive furnishings and probably high quality levers so they'll be happy with eyeballing them, thusly decreasing the effect of losses :D

If you're worried about actually losing the fortress, sealing in a way to engrave slabs and enough space to set them up within the room will do to keep ghosts away until next migrant wave.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:19:57 am »

Look for ones with stuff like 'has no idea how to interact in a social environment.'
And check his relationships. If you constantly expose him to terrible things so he gets the 'just doesn't care anymore' tag then you can stick him in without worry, pretty much.

As long as you make sure he has a legendary dining room, a nice bed, masterwork roasts and a selection of drinks, great statues and the like he should be fine. install an automated mist generator there too.

Or yeah, just shove a vampire in. Everlasting fort.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »

Didn't read the U.R.I.S.T. thread, but have moods been accounted for in case the test subject is taken?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »

Didn't read the U.R.I.S.T. thread, but have moods been accounted for in case the test subject is taken?

That's a good question, I disables artifacts on my fortresses. I have no idea if the thread brought it up, but this'd bias the selection to dwarves that's already mooded (They cannot have more than one mood during their lifetime, AFAIK, and vampires gets moods too ).

It wouldn't take much more infrastructure than supplying a non-vampire dwarf, craftdwarf shop for anyone that's not skilled or a shop relating to their highest skill. Checking the shop when they're in it to see what they want and dropping it in to see if they'll take it is probably the hardest part.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:59 pm »

Why don't you just read it?

warthurton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • warthurton's Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:20:22 pm »

I'm having a hard time finding the thread while searching.  I've tried URIST, dwarf level bunker, and others.

I must be asleep at the keyboard.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:43:58 pm »

The Magmawiki article don't points to any thread ( though it probably should, it can be interesting to see how things came together and examples ).

Even so, the basic concept isn't really complicated, set up a space for a dwarf to sleep, eat, and watch shinies, put levers in and link them up, put a dwarf in, seal it up. Bonus is having a hole in top to drop things in, but really if your're dedicated, you can dump enough supply to keep a dwarf sealed up for a few years with four drinks and two food a season.

The only real 'complication' is moods. If you truly want to keep your dwarf sealed while doing upgrade/changes to levers, all that'd involve is a door to seal off the bedroom/meeting zone of the lever-master and setting it to impassible while the work takes place.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:56 pm »

Hello, Vietnamese spambot!

...seriously, what are they doing here...?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »

If I was using a non vampirical dwarf, I would create living areas and lever area, with a lockable door. I would have a large room of empty space, as well as a ton of stone slabs, and a craftsdwarfs workshop... This would be in case the fortress crumbled and ghosts came swarming in.

Keep everything able to be dropped in from above (safely of course). It would be a dwarf who has already had a mood, and no direct relatives (friends are alright I guess). I generally get lucky with relationships... My legendary warriors all have nothing more than passing acquaintances. That accounts for moods, fort destruction leading to ghosts, deaths, and keeping him out for construction purposes.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together