Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've invented a weapon that can propel enemies away!  (Read 3968 times)

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I've invented a weapon that can propel enemies away!
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:20:25 am »

Do you want to get rid of the hassle of modding in Bronze Colossi as playable just to propel enemies away?

Do you want to make your enemies fly away instead of stand still when you hit them?

Do you want to be the Dwarven Babe Ruth?

Well, now you can!

HI, URIST McMAYS HERE FOR THE GREATMACE™, MAGMACORP®'S NEWEST INVENTION!

With the Magmacorp® greatmace™, you can go from this...

to this...

in an instant!

With the Magmacorp® greatmace™, you'll be making enemies fly in no time!

The secret is in the high-velocity action, which turns all the enemies you wanna waste into a fine, red, chunky paste! The best part is, the Magmacorp® greatmace™ is SO POWERFUL, it can even propel enemies the SAME SIZE AS YOU ARE!!!

Amazing!

But I'm not done yet! Since Magmacorp®'s brilliant Dwarven engineers and testers have found out through intense arena testing that a high-velocity attack won't break bones as often as a regular attack, we'll DOUBLE the offer and include a regular attack too, just in case you felt like crushing heads the old-fashioned way.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GREATMACE]
[NAME:greatmace:greatmaces]
[SIZE:1200]
[SKILL:MACE]
[TWO_HANDED:72500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:smash:smashes:NO_SUB:1000] <-regular attack
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:100000] <-propulsion attack

But wait! Call now, and we'll include a FREE Adventure mode reaction kit™ that generates a lifetime supply of Magmacorp® greatmaces™ whenever you need it. Just concentrate, and it's there! It's that easy.

[REACTION:SUMMON_STEEL_GREATMACE]
[NAME:summon steel greatmace]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GREATMACE:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[SKILL:CONCENTRATION]

So call now, and one worldgen later, you and your dwarves'll be playing Goblin baseball in no time!

Note: Magmacorp® is not responsible for any accidental deaths by bludgeoning, drowning, melting, bleeding, exploding, or spontaneous combustion that occur during use of the Magmacorp greatmace. Side effects include: headache, nausea, dry mouth, death, carp, death by carp, and erectile dysfunction. Call now!
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've invented a weapon that can propel enemies away!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:47 am »

I love you.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:33:45 am »

I'll stick with my railgun thank you very much.
I once shot a Kobold in the head with it.
You know what happened to that Kobold?
I have no idea, never saw it again.
It just started flying and never came back down again...

Same with goblins and humans, but at least you can still find their exploded remains.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:45:00 am »

how the f-

I tried so hard to make this back in .31, and now you make something that actually works? Awesome! Might have to fire up an adventure just for that. c:
Whether that owes to a new knockback system and/or your ingenuity is irrelevant, i can finally knock people around without having to mod in an obscenely large fist to a dorf!...

obscenely large fist is pretty funny though
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:55:04 am »

Oh man, Shook? Shook's, like, a frickin' celebrity, man! And he posted on my topic! :glee:

Actually, now I'm curious too about whether this would work in 31, since this is something I'd like to have done back then as well. Tell you what, since I still have a copy of good ol' 31.25 lying around, I'll boot it up, mod this into it, and see if it works there too.

Also, I'll be doing more testing by futzing around with other variables like contact area, material, and weapon size. I've already done some testing with the velocity modifier, and I've discovered that 100000 is sort of optimal, since something like 10000000000 won't break bones as often (and by extension, won't send anything flying since that's not a "solid" hit).

Edit: Yep, we owe the ability to do this to the new momentum system; we can't knock enemies away with the same weapon in 31.25.

Case in point: (34.11 is on the left, 31.25 is on the right)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit^2: Breaking news from Magmacorp! After running some field tests on a Bronze Colossus, Magmacorp engineers have discovered that the Magmacorp greatmace's high-velocity attack is effective against Bronze Colossi even though the low-velocity variant is not! Findings published below:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:28:10 am by StreetPizza »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:40:56 am »

The maximum possible value for a weapon's velocity multiplier (as well as most other values) is likely 2147483647, and even using that will probably cause things to behave strangely due to integer overflows.

[edit] Also, the plural of "bronze colossus" is (and always has been) "bronze colossuses" - if you don't believe me, look at the raws.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:43:51 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:57 am »

[edit] Also, the plural of "bronze colossus" is (and always has been) "bronze colossuses" - if you don't believe me, look at the raws.

This likely has more to do with Toady's way of writing stuff in the raws than anything else...  Although it is apparently an acceptable plural according to Wiktionary.

Have any experiments been done regarding the relationship between the velocity multiplier and the impact area/penetration values?

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:09:00 am »

You should make it out of silver or slade.

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:20 am »

Since this is a blunt weapon we're working with here, penetration doesn't matter. Contact area, though, is something I haven't looked at yet. From what I've seen based on contact area, though, it seems that a smaller contact area makes broken bones more likely, whereas when I had the velocity multiplier at some astronomical number that probably overflowed, I couldn't break a single bone when the target was standing (and thus couldn't knock them back because I couldn't hit them hard enough).

I'll give different materials a try the next time I go in too.

By the way, thanks for the tip, Quietust. Maybe we'll get to knock similarly-sized enemies more than one tile away if I go back in and futz around a little more.

Edit: Alright, folks! Testing has begun. I'll be testing with silver, steel, and platinum (slade is no longer available for arena testing).

I will be testing propulsion effectiveness and combat effectiveness against other weapons using standard humans as test subjects (armored vs. armored and unarmored vs. unarmored). For the propulsion trials, the human with the weapon will be a grandmaster fighter and maceman. For the combat trials, the humans will all be adept at both skills and attacks will be restricted to the original "smash and bash."

Bones will indeed break. Bodies will indeed fly. Shit will indeed go down.

This is what I'll be working with:

[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:smash:smashes:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:bashstandard:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel1000000:bashes:NO_SUB:1000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel10000000:bashes:NO_SUB:10000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel100000000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel1000000000:bashes:NO_SUB:1000000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel2000000000:bashes:NO_SUB:2000000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:6000:area100:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:1000:6000:area1000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:2500:6000:area2500:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:5000:6000:area5000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:area10000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:25000:6000:area25000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]

Note that I haven't started experimenting with size yet. I'll save that for a later test.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:58:12 pm by StreetPizza »

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:48:38 pm »

Alright, folks: results are in.

Unfortunately, none of the variables I messed with gave me fruitful results--it would always end up propelling the target one square, regardless of size or velocity. Additionally, the weapon does not propel its target at some velocities. See the data below for details.

Well, I guess this means I stumbled onto this weapon by accident, since I have no clue how it works.

I know from adventure mode that relative size can affect propulsion distance (my human adventurer can knock a kobold across the room, for instance). I would also guess that strength most likely has no effect on propulsion as well because all of the arena humans had "average strength" while my human adventurer has "superhuman strength," but there seems to be no marked difference in propulsion distance.

What else can I test? Do you guys think I did the procedure wrong? I'm stumped.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:53:33 am by StreetPizza »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 05:42:32 pm »

Well, silver is the best material for blunt weapons in vanilla, but you can always mod in a super dense material.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:56:11 am »

Doing this with ranged weapons may get you better results, but it isn't as funny as using a large mace to do it.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 09:47:18 am »

Just to check: you've read this post, right?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:35 am »

I remember in the last version (3.1xx, I believe) I made a gun that shoots out a three cutting force bolts. Unfortunately I accidentally made it available to civs. Then I started an adventurer and got hit by one, which slammed me into a tree 15 tiles away, ripped both my lungs and, oddly enough, cut my nose off. I suffocated soon after.
As I recall the shootforce and maxvel was into the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:48 am »

Since this is a blunt weapon we're working with here, penetration doesn't matter. Contact area, though, is something I haven't looked at yet. From what I've seen based on contact area, though, it seems that a smaller contact area makes broken bones more likely, whereas when I had the velocity multiplier at some astronomical number that probably overflowed, I couldn't break a single bone when the target was standing (and thus couldn't knock them back because I couldn't hit them hard enough).

I'll give different materials a try the next time I go in too.

By the way, thanks for the tip, Quietust. Maybe we'll get to knock similarly-sized enemies more than one tile away if I go back in and futz around a little more.

Edit: Alright, folks! Testing has begun. I'll be testing with silver, steel, and platinum (slade is no longer available for arena testing).

I will be testing propulsion effectiveness and combat effectiveness against other weapons using standard humans as test subjects (armored vs. armored and unarmored vs. unarmored). For the propulsion trials, the human with the weapon will be a grandmaster fighter and maceman. For the combat trials, the humans will all be adept at both skills and attacks will be restricted to the original "smash and bash."

Bones will indeed break. Bodies will indeed fly. Shit will indeed go down.

This is what I'll be working with:

[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:smash:smashes:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:bashstandard:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel1000000:bashes:NO_SUB:1000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel10000000:bashes:NO_SUB:10000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel100000000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel1000000000:bashes:NO_SUB:1000000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:6000:vel2000000000:bashes:NO_SUB:2000000000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:6000:area100:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:1000:6000:area1000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:2500:6000:area2500:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:5000:6000:area5000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:area10000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:25000:6000:area25000:bashes:NO_SUB:100000]

Note that I haven't started experimenting with size yet. I'll save that for a later test.

You can use DFhack's "changeitem m INORGANIC:SLADE here force" to change it to slade.