Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Garbage Explosion  (Read 3171 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage Explosion
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 02:02:15 pm »

I use a 3z pit and magma, personally.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:03 pm »

Well I think the biggest plus for magma is that its not an exploit. I mean, you can all play how you want to, but if there is a bug-free way of doing something, ill damn-well take it! :)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »

Well I think the biggest plus for magma is that its not an exploit. I mean, you can all play how you want to, but if there is a bug-free way of doing something, ill damn-well take it! :)

In real life if I have a 500,000 lbs stone slab and slam it down against a metallic surface, almost everything will be turned into dust between those objects.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 09:35:37 pm »

In real life if I have a 500,000 lbs stone slab and slam it down against a metallic surface, almost everything will be turned into dust between those objects.
Including the slab.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 09:50:03 pm »

That would allow you to moderate excess magma safe blocks as well!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 10:04:12 pm »

Of course, all the dust would have to go somewhere, given conservation of mass. Tossing into the magma sea is the soundest solution.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 01:53:53 am »

The dust goes into the air.

Air pollution is an important factor in a fortress. The pollution is being inhaled by the dwarfs and jump starts their metabolism. It also makes them drink more. Both factors lead to better performance and a better dwarf fortress. Better fighting leads to more loot. More loots leads to more things having to be smashed also more work performance leads to more forges and therefore pollution which leads to higher performance.

Atom smashers are very important its one of the first things I build way before I dug even 20 levels deep!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 03:10:03 am »

You can see bronze, copper, and non-magma-safe stone slowly melt in the magma.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 07:33:16 am »

A big advantage of smashing bridges over magma to destroy items is the performance.
Unless you embarked on a volcano area that makes then magma available fast, the majority of time you'll have to dig deep, have one of more caverns massive layers being then revealed and when you reach magma, chances are that it's a magma sea.

Meaning you'll have DF running a lot more stuff (caverns spawning creatures with all the pathfinding having to run in such heavily convulated areas, magma sea with the added flowing liquid code, etc... ) and calculations in the background.
While with a simple atom smashing bridge, there's no need to dig down so far to reveal caverns and etc... , and so you'll be able to keep DF with higher performance

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 09:13:40 am »

A big advantage of smashing bridges over magma to destroy items is the performance.
Unless you embarked on a volcano area that makes then magma available fast, the majority of time you'll have to dig deep, have one of more caverns massive layers being then revealed and when you reach magma, chances are that it's a magma sea.

Meaning you'll have DF running a lot more stuff (caverns spawning creatures with all the pathfinding having to run in such heavily convulated areas, magma sea with the added flowing liquid code, etc... ) and calculations in the background.
While with a simple atom smashing bridge, there's no need to dig down so far to reveal caverns and etc... , and so you'll be able to keep DF with higher performance
Liquids flowing only has an impact if there are *flowing* liquids. If all tiles of the top level of the fluid has the same depth there is no flow to calculate, until an event causes calculations to start.
If you're after a shallow, low reveal, candy-less fortress, then yes, getting magma can have a cost (although cavern spawning critters happens regardless of whether you've breached the caverns or not: it's only the breaching into the circus that causes explicit spawning. Likewise, cavern trees grow and webs are produced even if you can't see it.).
Pages: 1 [2]