Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save game editing  (Read 1452 times)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save game editing
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:28:40 am »

Is there some way i can edit my save files to lower the offerings i've made to mountainhome? I have accidentally given too much and saved before i noticed (i know, stupid) and a king will arrive if i dont lower it.

I absolutly detest nobles. They are nothing but an annoyance and truely kill the fun of building a fort. They just waste your time and i find i'm not actually playing or building a fort but queing up noble demands or trying to find ways to make them happier because thier demands can't be met. Not worth the effort. If it comes to it i'll just delete the region folder again and start a new one but i've had alot of luck in this fort and i'd like to save it from the noble curse if possible.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Save game editing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:40:10 am »

Editing it in the save file would be next to impossible. Editing it in-memory would be possible but still very difficult, since it's not known exactly where this information is stored.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:42 am »

Ahh well, thanks for the info. Such a nice site too. Lava in 1st cavern, tons of trees, relativly level surface full of game and flux, tho no iron. I'll keep it til i get dragons to hatch then dump it and start a new one.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:05:30 am »

Nobles aren't so bad now that they don't have material based mandates anymore....mandates are so easy now compared to before.  You used to get mandates like "Make Bismuth gauntlets" or "Make crundle horn crafts" stuff like that. You do need some nice rooms and furniture for the king though, if you engrave some gold walls and make a bit of furniture out of precious metals it only takes a few minutes to get that aspect all set up. I say stick with it!!! There are far greater challenges ahead.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:36:30 am »

You used to get mandates like "Make Bismuth gauntlets" or "Make crundle horn crafts" stuff like that.
No you didn't - that's pure nonsense.

In previous versions, all mandates, whether for item production or export bans, only specified an item type or a material, never both. It was only demands that specified both, and those were always "safe" to ignore (it just made the noble unhappy).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:40 am »

Oh yeah I guess it was "crundle horn goods" or something like that. My pure nonsense mistake.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02:32 am »

Oh yeah I guess it was "crundle horn goods" or something like that. My pure nonsense mistake.

there is too much pure nonsens around that is produced by people as the pure truth, or who produce pure guesses as knowledge. If we're not nice enough when you make a mistake, blame it on them. I always try to act graciously when I'm proven wrong.

quietust is one of the most knowledgeable of the whole community, so he probably gotten quite tired of correcting people.

On that point, aside from tearing through the DF code to find bugs and the mechanics of things, I'd like to applaud him for his patience with others. Including me on occasion. I don't think I could've stayed as nice as you, I have a tendency to revert to sarcasm and critisism
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:06:25 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »

See, learn something every post. I've had a mayor demand a silver bed and tantrum after he found out he couldnt have one. Killed 2 people and by the end halved my fortress population with crazys and suicides. That's when i swore off nobles. Up til now i've only had 2 mayors i could keep happy, the rest all caused me more trouble than they were worth. I'm still new so maybe i have the wrong impression but i really don't like them.

This queen isn't too bad and seems easy to keep happy. She likes copper, which i have tons of, likes pig tail fiber, fisher berries, dwarven rum and longland flour. Can't ask for better right? Only thing is the mandates for scepters. I think a lava smelter and magma forge next to it will be good for copper crafts i can recycle quick and easy. Still have to manage the constant mandates tho i only have the mayor and queen this time around.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 09:10:14 am »

Is there some way i can edit my save files to lower the offerings i've made to mountainhome? I have accidentally given too much and saved before i noticed (i know, stupid) and a king will arrive if i dont lower it.

I absolutly detest nobles. They are nothing but an annoyance and truely kill the fun of building a fort. They just waste your time and i find i'm not actually playing or building a fort but queing up noble demands or trying to find ways to make them happier because thier demands can't be met. Not worth the effort. If it comes to it i'll just delete the region folder again and start a new one but i've had alot of luck in this fort and i'd like to save it from the noble curse if possible.
If your only problem is mandates then you could just go into the dwarven entity and change all of their [MANDATE_MAX:X] tokens to 0. If you remove all of the [REQUIRED_XXXXX:X] tokens as well then they won't even need to be assigned special rooms.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 09:52:41 am »

If your only problem is mandates then you could just go into the dwarven entity and change all of their [MANDATE_MAX:X] tokens to 0. If you remove all of the [REQUIRED_XXXXX:X] tokens as well then they won't even need to be assigned special rooms.
That requires generating a new world - if you want to do that to an existing world, you'll need to use DFHack or some other memory editing tool.