Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A quick guestion regarding the fine art of birth control  (Read 902 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
A quick guestion regarding the fine art of birth control
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:42:36 pm »

So, how does the BABY_CAP change the amount of babies being born? My citizens are way too happy, popping out babies all the time, preventing me from getting any useful immigrants anymore. Would setting it to " 0:0 " stop new pregnancies? And which number actually represents adults? The first one?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: A quick guestion regarding the fine art of birth control
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »

First number is child count and second number percentage of the fort that can be children.  0:0 prevents any and all births for me, but does not prevent child immigrants, especially early in the game.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:48:03 pm »

It's also important to note that the child cap won't terminate existing pregnancies.  So you may still have a few births after setting it to 0.

The population cap affects your total population (so adults and children), and the child cap affects new births inside your fort.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:51:18 pm »

Well, migrant kids usually grow up pretty soon, and my popultaion cap has been exceeded by at least 80, thanks to the kids. It seems that almost a half of my population is babies or young children. might have to atom smash them soon, since a siege caught me during a farming crisis ("no seeds" spam) and my booze reserves are running low.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:54:28 pm »

Yes, thought as much. With my luck, every female dwarf is currently pregnant and ready to flood my fortress with their pesky offspring. I got rid of all my cats, and now I'm getting overrun by babies. They're exactly like cats, except for they drink booze.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 05:42:05 pm »

now I'm getting overrun by babies. They're exactly like cats, except for they drink booze.
No, babies can't drink booze. I think that's why they're grumpy all the time.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:46:30 pm »

Well, do they drink anything then? Anyway, children do, and the statement applies to them. They do collect crops though.

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 06:11:18 pm »

Well, migrant kids usually grow up pretty soon, and my popultaion cap has been exceeded by at least 80, thanks to the kids. It seems that almost a half of my population is babies or young children. might have to atom smash them soon, since a siege caught me during a farming crisis ("no seeds" spam) and my booze reserves are running low.

I'm in a similar situation, with a current population of 168, 23 babies and 32 children, with a new baby coming every few seconds now it seems, and the birth rate seems to be still increasing, if anything.

I'm not sure which file to check to confirm the numbers.  I set population cap to 100 using the Newb tools but I'm not really sure that took effect... sometimes in previous games I've looked and it's back at 200.

I don't seem to be running low on resources though; food stores are at a ridiculous 5950, and drink is at 1247.  I've got 4 stills.  But still, if the babies don't stop coming at some point, there's gonna be trouble.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »

Well, do they drink anything then?
They get their hunger and thirst counters magically reset while in their mother's care, or something.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:24 am »

Ah, breastfeeding obviously.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:58 am »

now I'm getting overrun by babies. They're exactly like cats, except for they drink booze.
I fail to see why they'd be grumpy--not only do babies not need to work and get a free pass to see the world for a year (or at least the parts where their mother lives and works), but dwarven breast milk HAS to be at least 30-40 proof.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:22:52 am »

I fail to see why they'd be grumpy--not only do babies not need to work and get a free pass to see the world for a year (or at least the parts where their mother lives and works), but dwarven breast milk HAS to be at least 30-40 proof.

Psh! we all know dwarves don't care enough/aren't smart enough to feed their young! the babies survive off of whatever they can pick out of their mother's beard. Of course, considering the dwarven diet, these leavings are probably 70-80 proof, if not more.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:15 am »

It's my recollection (from disassembly diving) that any baby being carried by its mother will effectively leech food/drink from her, causing her to become hungry/thirsty at double the usual rate. This does not, however, count as alcohol - when a baby is close to 1 year old, it will have severe withdrawal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.