Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions (automatically forbidden items, loot and more)  (Read 2166 times)

Pantsmansoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys,

I'm having two confusing things regularly occurring to me.

1) I'm regularly queuing up bone bolts to be constructed through my manager, to help keep my hunters equipped and to get through the large amount of bones they keep returning. I keep getting error messages saying something like "dorf XXX stopped hunting: no ammunition". So I check my stockpile and I have about 500 quarels, but there is a yellow/orange F beside large stacks of them. I assume this means they're being forbidden - why? I don't want them forbidden - I want my hunters to use them!

2) Whenever I kill goblins that attack (I just fought off a 12-goblin siege), when I use "k' to look at their corpses, they have a ton of cloth, leather and metal items. I thought I had read that dorfs will automatically loot corpses, but that didn't seem to be happening. So instead, I have to manually click through each item on the corpse and hit "f" to "claim" the item. Then my dorfs will bring it to the stockpile for me to sell to traders. Is this standard?

3) Is it possible for me to create a custom loadout uniform for a squad of dorfs? Ie, i'd like to create a marksdwarf squad that uses steel breastplates, leather cloaks, leather boots, and a few other odds and ends, which no standard loadout has. But I can't seem to articulate the different materials in a custom uniform creation... help please!

Thanks for the help guys!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions (automatically forbidden items, loot and more)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:40:41 pm »

Hey guys,

I'm having two confusing things regularly occurring to me.

1) I'm regularly queuing up bone bolts to be constructed through my manager, to help keep my hunters equipped and to get through the large amount of bones they keep returning. I keep getting error messages saying something like "dorf XXX stopped hunting: no ammunition". So I check my stockpile and I have about 500 quarels, but there is a yellow/orange F beside large stacks of them. I assume this means they're being forbidden - why? I don't want them forbidden - I want my hunters to use them!

2) Whenever I kill goblins that attack (I just fought off a 12-goblin siege), when I use "k' to look at their corpses, they have a ton of cloth, leather and metal items. I thought I had read that dorfs will automatically loot corpses, but that didn't seem to be happening. So instead, I have to manually click through each item on the corpse and hit "f" to "claim" the item. Then my dorfs will bring it to the stockpile for me to sell to traders. Is this standard?

3) Is it possible for me to create a custom loadout uniform for a squad of dorfs? Ie, i'd like to create a marksdwarf squad that uses steel breastplates, leather cloaks, leather boots, and a few other odds and ends, which no standard loadout has. But I can't seem to articulate the different materials in a custom uniform creation... help please!

Thanks for the help guys!
1. The forbidden ammo refers to bolts which have been fired and are now left on the ground. If you unforbid them, haulers will go and pick them up, and your hunters can use them again.

2. Yes, this is the default behaviour, and is done to prevent your haulers from going out in the middle of a siege to retrieve your enemy's items. You can change this behaviour in the (o)rders tab, but I'd advice against it to prevent unnecessary bloodshed. You don't have to manually click through to retrieve all the loot though: d-b-c allows you to mass reclaim forbidden items.

3. Yes you can do that under the military screen for uniforms, although I don't usually bother assigning custom uniforms myself.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »

you can also allow the picking up of bolts after being fired in the (o)rders menu

the reason not to do this is when you forget to set a civilian alert and some civvies come to pick up the gear and suddenly find surviving goblins...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »

2. Yes, this is the default behaviour, and is done to prevent your haulers from going out in the middle of a siege to retrieve your enemy's items. You can change this behaviour in the (o)rders tab, but I'd advice against it to prevent unnecessary bloodshed. You don't have to manually click through to retrieve all the loot though: d-b-c allows you to mass reclaim forbidden items.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that changing your death drop orders will NOT fix this - that setting controls whether or not it automatically forbids unforbidden death drops, but invader equipment starts out forbidden from the beginning due to a fix Toady made to prevent the arsenal dwarf (which has since been removed) from assigning it to your soldiers as equipment (presumably, filtering them out if they were equipped by enemy units was either too difficult or too slow).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:33:40 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that changing your death drop orders will NOT fix this - that setting controls whether or not it automatically forbids unforbidden death drops, but invader equipment starts out forbidden from the beginning due to a fix Toady made to prevent the arsenal dwarf (which has since been removed) from assigning it to your soldiers as equipment (presumably, filtering them out if they were equipped by enemy units was either too difficult or too slow).

forgot about that yeah, the claim dead items only goes for your own dwarfs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:24:48 am »

Yeah, you're right - enemy loot is forbidden by default.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."