Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilian uniforms  (Read 618 times)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilian uniforms
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:48 am »

I'm thinking of putting all my non-military dwarves into squads so i can dictate the clothes they are allowed to wear. The only thing stopping me is i dont know if my miners and woodcutters will be bugged when i assign everyone a copper battle axe and copper pick (picks showing as foreign and still produced in my fort, makes me curious about what it means).

Does anyone have previous experience with this?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian uniforms
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:46:36 am »

I like to make all my citizens armed with crossbows and wearing metal caps, except for miners and woodcutters. They get confused with their working equipment and weapons. The rest should work fine, and if you have excess bolts, crossbows and quivers, arm some of them. They'll defend their fellow workers even when off-duty, giving your military time to organize.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:47:17 am »

The problem with woodcutters and miners is that they can't use the tool that they use for working as a weapon.
So, keep in mind that the axe that is used for chopping wood can't be used for chopping goblins. If you produce an additional axe for every woodcutter (and the same goes for miners), everything should work just fine.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:51:25 am »

Or apparently you can also temporarily turn their respective labors off, and then order them to fight.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:13:02 am »

the arming with weapons should work as long as he isn't set to active while about to fight, since he might decide to pick up his military axe instead of fighting with the axe (or pick) he has for his labors. Not always, but when he does, it's not nice. The biggest issue is armor. They won't work and wear armor at the same time. A note for the ones who don't know: mining improves fighting skill with picks, but woodcutting grants no bonus to fighting with an axe.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »

As Garath indicates, this has been broken forever.  Hunters, Miners and Woodcutters have a "hidden" uniform that cannot coexist with a military uniform.  So when they go off military duty (become civilians) they will remove ALL armor, so that they can wear their civilian "uniform" which is their single tool/weapon.  In order to put on armor they will have to go on duty, at which point they will drop their civilian tool/weapon and grab their military weapon (even if that is bare hands).

There is no workaround.  It's just broken.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz