Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military only partially equipping armor  (Read 482 times)

Hmuda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military only partially equipping armor
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:44:33 am »

I made full sets of steel armor for my military, but they are only equipping the breastplate, the greaves and weapon. No helms, gauntlets or boots.

I assume this is because of the already equipped clothes. Any way to tell them to drop the ueless pigtail hood and put on a bloody helmet? I use dfhack, and something about clearing ownership might work as far as I heard, but don't want to break anything so I better ask the gurus first.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Military only partially equipping armor
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:47:10 am »

This is already supported in-game - go into (m)ilitary -> (e)quip and press (r) until it says "Replace clthng" instead of "Over clthng".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:48:49 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:53 pm »

... then pray that they actually do it in a timely manner.
... then pray they don't spend all their doing constant wardrobe changes for better/newer/random armor.

Hmuda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:17:04 pm »

Much appreciated guys. I always assumed that option was for adding extra clothing, like cloaks for extra flair.

One last thing. Looking at the wiki, and reading other people's writings I noticed that some add two greaves instead of one. Since they are crafted individually instead of in pairs like gauntlets and boots, I assumed they are covering both legs. Should I assign two of them or just one will do the trick?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:04 pm »

Looking at the wiki, and reading other people's writings I noticed that some add two greaves instead of one. Since they are crafted individually instead of in pairs like gauntlets and boots, I assumed they are covering both legs. Should I assign two of them or just one will do the trick?
Where exactly on the wiki is that stated? Because it's wrong - the only items you ever wear more than one of are gloves and boots, and even then you only need to add them to a uniform once (it interprets them as "pair of gloves" or "pair of boots").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:28:58 pm »

You're probably thinking of layering armor, which is a separate issue altogether.

So pieces of armor, like mail shirts, can be layered together.  So you could have a dwarf with 3 mail shirts and a breastplate for example, for presumably better protection.

You don't need to assign but one of any particular slot to get full coverage though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Hmuda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:50:10 pm »

Again, thanks guys. Hopefully I can equip my forces better now. :)