Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Live or die? The baby's fate lies in your hands  (Read 4455 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Live or die? The baby's fate lies in your hands
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:28 am »

So, I decided to do something a little different this time. I embarked in a woodland, with only 4 of my dwarves with any skills. The other three I put in a dried up murky pool, and kept them stuck in there until they died. I did the same with the first 2 migrant waves as well, because I can build a thriving village with only 4 dwarves.

I'm building above ground, wood and clay only, no digging allowed. I have an almost infinite food source (blue peafowl... 60 of them after the first hatching), and it looks like everything is going well.

All 4 are ecstatic, but two of them are "caught up in a new romance". This means only one thing... they'll start popping out kids. YAY!

The question is, do I give those kids the same fate as the migrants? It'll result in two unhappy dwarves, but these guys have already endured the decay of a friend, and snapped out of it without a tantrum. My village is small, consisting of a few workshops, a large burial hall (ghosts scare me), 4 houses, a hatchery, storehouse, and meeting hall, and I've managed to design it so it will fit perfectly in square walls. This means no room for expansion if my population increases. This provides a problem with having kids around.

So, let them starve (when they inevitably start popping out), or let them grow and slowly increase the population of my small village.

On a side note, I can't wait till I get an elven caravan... I'll make them walk the entire way through my village, before trapping them in and letting them starve

I say let them live. Besides, you're in deep shiz when  the gobbos come.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:17 am »

I'd pick a cage full of rabits over children any day.
Where is the fun in that?
Oh I can assure you flinging rabbits at sieges is Fun enough

dray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:36 am »

So long as we get updates as to how this fort goes, I vote that the possible children begat of the foursome live!

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:30 pm »

Turn them into artifact picks.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 01:09:31 pm »

Build a second village.  Let the babies grow into children and then dump them in the second village to fend for themselves.  They should be able to plant and harvest at least, right?  That should be enough to survive to adulthood - except for the inevitable insanity from lack of cloths.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:58 pm »

A second village should work... I'd have to constantly supply them with booze, because I don't have any water available on the map (and no digging, so no caverns either).

The children shall live though... I'm fully sustainable inside my walls (except wood), so I can work on making bone bolts and cooking up some omelettes when the gobbos inevitably come.

I'm actually going to make the wall 3 thick (2 walls, and a walkway in the middle), and have a walkway over the top of it, to give my dwarves something to shoot off. I'll probs set the archery range there too

No migrants in many seasons, so I won't have to worry about ghosts for a while (I hope)

I'm actually confident this could go well
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 08:16:27 pm »

Die

Blood for Armok

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »

Kill the baby. I haven't even read the thread yet all I know is that there is a baby and you should kill it.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:14 pm »

Only two want him dead!!!
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 01:21:54 am »

Good god. Bay12 is going soft.

Kill them.

Kill them all for a long while. Till you have battle hardened veterans who don't give a crap.

Then, when your fortress needs a few more to keep it running, *then and only then* let them have enough time off from duties to reproduce.

The kids may seem nice now, but they just become a pita as you start to try and figure out what to do with them.

At least with 4 you can have them constantly leveling up skills to become legendary in nearly everything.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10:09 am »

Kill the baby. I haven't even read the thread yet all I know is that there is a baby and you should kill it.
I'm going to have to go with Broseph on this one. It's not like the little larva will ever grow up to do anything useful.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 07:02:15 pm »

Well, the outer wall is now complete, and there is still no hint of even a marriage... Looks like they'll just be long term lovers. 

Now that I'm secure from attacks, I can now work on military. I seem to have a good supply of bolts now, due to those ranger migrants coming then dying, leaving their stuff to us :D 

If I split them in two, and have each of the groups have one food handler (butchery, brewing, cooking, tanning, leather working, and bone carving), and the other dealing with all the construction, woodcutting, metalworking, and clay gathering, then they can be on military duty alternating, whilst still having everything running smoothly (of course the lovers will be stationed together). 

Baby-to-be can live I've decided. I need backup in case of some tragedy, because I'm not gonna be letting in any migrants
Pages: 1 2 [3]