Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possessed Blacksmith  (Read 1202 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possessed Blacksmith
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:17:32 am »

I've got a possessed mood on my blacksmith, and he has normal blacksmith and normal engraver skills. Blacksmith is listed first so I guess he's gonna do some metalsmithing stuff... but he's not taking over any workshops? I built all metal workshops, even the magma ones. Could it be so that he needs a magma forge, and it needs to be hooked to magma before he takes it over? I have only 2-3/7 depth magma below it, and it's raising slowly. He's gonna get insane before steady level 4 :(

locolan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Possessed Blacksmith
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:27:53 am »

I have only 2-3/7 depth magma below it, and it's raising slowly. He's gonna get insane before steady level 4 :(

He's possessed. You'll be happier with him insane than not getting any skill in blacksmithing.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:36:34 am »

Do you only have the magma versions? Sometimes you need regular stations.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:36 am »

Do you only have the magma versions? Sometimes you need regular stations.

I built both the regular and magma versions. I just somehow have to test if it matters that the magma forge doesn't have magma access (yet). Can anyone confirm that is the reason he doesn't claim the workshop?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 02:23:40 am »

Build every other workshop you don't already have, you can deconstruct them later, but sometimes they want oddball workshops.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:28:13 am »

Yes, it needs to be active.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:18:11 am »

also, if he claims a magma forge and the magma level then drops below 4, it'll cancel his mood and he'll go nuts i believe. so be careful about that! potentially v dangerous.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:47:31 am »

also, if he claims a magma forge and the magma level then drops below 4, it'll cancel his mood and he'll go nuts i believe. so be careful about that! potentially v dangerous.

I kinda figured that'd happen, so I put a double safety door on the forge, and indeed, he did go berserk :)

So it definitely was the magma forge he wanted, and 4/7 magma constantly under it.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:19:26 am »

I kinda figured that'd happen, so I put a double safety door on the forge, and indeed, he did go berserk :)

So it definitely was the magma forge he wanted, and 4/7 magma constantly under it.

did you add the double safety door once he had first claimed it? or before he did? i suppose in the future if you suspect a moody dwarf is waiting to claim a magma-powered workshop you've yet to build, wait until the magma is 4/7 steadily before building it...but then again, that might be too late for urist mcmoody.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:33 am »

Between fire imps, grass fires, dwarven torches, booze bombs and failed moods, I think I'm ignoring magma for ever.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:53:20 am »

But it's so worth it!

And hell, a fire imp attack even saved my fort from a bezerk champion. After a siege, he was friends with both the casualties and aquired a flashing red arrow, the only thing keeping him going was taking joy in slaughter lately.
So I put him in his own squad and put him offline to calm down. A satisfying sparring session didn't help, but then a fire imp attacked a cook.
He was activated and intervened, smacking it down quickly and improving from miserable to content in the process.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:34:12 pm »

But it's so worth it!

And hell, a fire imp attack even saved my fort from a bezerk champion. After a siege, he was friends with both the casualties and aquired a flashing red arrow, the only thing keeping him going was taking joy in slaughter lately.
So I put him in his own squad and put him offline to calm down. A satisfying sparring session didn't help, but then a fire imp attacked a cook.
He was activated and intervened, smacking it down quickly and improving from miserable to content in the process.

Every dwarf could learn from this lesson!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:55:42 pm »

Magma is a powerful tool - it's like any such, you just have to pay attention when using it, plan well and not get sloppy or lazy with it. 

So sad. I thought you were going to say you locked him out until it stabilized.

If you go down a level and look at the magma, you need to look for depths less than 4/7 splashing around.  If even one 3/7 blips under the workshop for an instant, it shuts down.  Only once those are all gone will a magma workshop not crap out and cancel all work orders - and, in this case, cause the death of a dwarf.    Could have been a beautiful save.

More pointless deaths. So DF.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 12:12:47 pm »

More pointless deaths. So DF.

I also had a fortification carved as a safety magma drain on the edge of the map on that very same fortress.

I learned in a horrible way that doesn't work with magma.

More pointless stuff happened :(