Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood won't grab items  (Read 652 times)

Griphus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Strange Mood won't grab items
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »

Hey all,

I've got a dwarf in a strange mood that claimed my Mason's Workshop.  He's drawing pictures of a forest, stacked cloth, and a quarry.  From looking at the wiki, it seems like this would be cloth, wood, and stone.  I've got 414 stones, 142 logs, and 7 cloth.  However, he is still standing there.  Does anyone have any insight about why?  I'm worried he's going to go insane here real quickly.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood won't grab items
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:28:45 pm »

Check the type of cloth that you have, he might be looking for yarn or silk cloth instead of plant fiber cloth.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Griphus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:30:55 pm »

hmm, yea I only have pig tail fiber.  probably no way i can get silk or yarn in time. :-\

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:37 pm »

For yarn, shear some farm animals (sheep or alpacas work well), spin the yarn and then weave the yarn into cloth.
For silk, either breach the caverns or wait for a caravan.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:38:28 am »

If you have DFHack, the "showmood" command will tell you what the dwarf wants (and the order in which he wants it), and you can use the (t) cursor on the workshop to see what's been collected so far.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 10:39:53 am »

and you can use the (t) cursor on the workshop to see what's been collected so far.

This is extremely important.  Use t to see what has been collected (in order top to bottom), and use q to see a cyclic-with-immediate-dupes-removed version of the list of demands.  Then reconcile the two.

If his list of demands, in order, is "stone... wood... cloth..." and he has collected just 1 log so far, then you know two things: (1) the starting point is wood; (2) the next thing he needs is either a second log, or some type of cloth.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz