Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armored archers vs goblin bowmen  (Read 3291 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armored archers vs goblin bowmen
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:28:09 pm »

Don't forget that since bolts penetrate internal organs and cause bleeding, a slower firing rate means you can kill stuff with just a few shots each.  With a high rate of fire, the marksdwarves will spray bolts in the targets direction until he's actually dead, so it is possible they can waste quite a few shots on a corpse that still has a bit of a heartbeat instead of useing those bolts on actual combat effective enemies.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36:33 pm »

instead of linking all the drawbridges surrounding a marskman tower to one lever, you could for example link three to one lever and the one facing in to another-- So once elite archers come within range you can lock those three sides, but still have some time to shoot the melee troops that are pouring in closer before the elite archers reposition because LoS is blocked.

e.g
=====
IIFFFFIIV+++
IIFaXFIIV+++
IIFFFFIIV+++
===== V+++

Lock the top, left and bottom sides and then when the melee hostiles come onto your nice paved road/traps/whatever you can still shoot them. Once the archers close, you can lock the right one-- saving your dorfs from getting pincushioned and that way, the elite archers are coming closer to your fort / military and can be caught easier.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 07:24:22 am »

Danger rooms and shields(even bucklers) are not an option (house rule). I've noticed a marksdwarf having novice in armor user while he had dabbling before so for now i'll let them punch each other and continue examining what happens.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 08:54:36 am »

I just recruited a new squad of marksdwarves. They're wearing between 200-250 urists of weight from very heavy armor, and they're moving at a snail's pace.

Armor skill definitely use a huge impact on how much armor slows a dwarf down. My elite melee guys are zooming around despite wearing the exact same armor that is slowing a recruit down to a crawl.
Pages: 1 [2]