Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Shipwreck embark  (Read 7410 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck embark
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:39 pm »

Oh, awesome idea!  I just might try this next.  Perhaps the two hardcoded migrant waves (if you don't use the migrant-free save) are survivors from the other ships in your fleet that beached elsewhere on the island :).  By the way, I know that invaders are blocked by island isolation, but what about kobold thieves and megabeasts?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:17:02 pm by VerdantSF »

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 10:00:57 pm »

Well, that did it! I set the End Year to 0 and no hard-coded migration waves. The game refused to actually let me set it to 0 on the worldgen screen (lowest is 2, apparently), so I had to edit the file directly. Even then it still ran to year 2, so I thought I was screwed... but no waves.

It took me three attempts to get to spring, I have to admit. The first attempt, undead albatrosses. Second attempt, undead orca people. Third attempt barely avoided an undead panda and an undead cuttlefish man, but it's now winter and we are safe inside and barely avoiding starvation. I have to keep these mysterious tame yaks alive somehow, until I can set up a magma disposal room.

I have to congratulate you, kenpoaj: you appear to have discovered the only way to beat the hard-coded waves, odd as it is. It probably needs testing to confirm the limits, but this opens up a lot of potential.

There shouldn't be thieves, should there? No clue on the megabeasts yet, but I hope not. I'm setting up an obsidian farm and then everyone will be wielding stone swords, aaaand that's it. No anvil so no metal weapons... oh god, we're all doomed.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 07:14:37 am »

edit: double post
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:33:49 am by chronicpayne »

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 07:33:13 am »

Does this have to be done on year zero?

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 08:31:08 am »

To simulate a shipwreck, it might be useful to do at least one abandoning run on the beach in order to scatter items and animal corpses around, yes? ;D
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 08:47:11 am »

This sounds fun.... CHALLENGE MODE!

Your hallowed ship carved from the motherbeard granite of the mountainholm herself has struck catastrophe!/Iceberg!/Leviathan!
Luckily, 7 survivors managed to not drown due to being fat enough to float, because armok knows no-one is going to give them swimming skills. The island seems to consist of: Tropical jungle / Wild desert / Tundra or Glacier.

Broker/Ship captain. Negotiation and intimidation. Say hi to other ship captains and keep that crew in line! :P
Ship Carpenter/Engineer, and possibly some skill in clothmaking so he could fix the ropes.
Ship Doctor. He's probably a hack.
Ship Cook/brewer. I can see this guy cooking up some grog. Probably the reason your dwarves are so weak and flimsy: Scurvy.
Burly, Fightin' fisherdorfs. Fishing is real hard, folks. Think anchor and mom tattoos. Fishing labors, wrestling, fighter and dodger if you so choose.

Dogs can swim and have been known to get on floatsam shipwreckage, so roll a dice or something and see how many safely made it to shore. Anything larger would probably drown and if you're lucky wash up on beach, so you can slaughter your wagon animals to replicate that.

Doggies on a roll of:
1    - No survivors
2/3    - Mister Snuggles.
4    - One doggie.
5    - One female, but she carried her puppies to shore! :D whosagooddoggieyesyouare!
6    - Breeding pair.

I'd also like to think that such a ship would be carrying chickens for a long voyage, but it's much more likely that a few ducks/drakes would be able to make it to shore.

Items:
Booze and food barrels.
Plenty of wood, any wooden items.
One metal weapon. Copper Hammer or iron Axe. I'm sure the carpenter would have the sense to grab something useful and not drown on the way out, but I just don't see him managing to make it out with a spear.
Rope, cloth, clothes, bags. They'd all wash up pretty easily.
No Picks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]