Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Easiest way to dispose of migrants  (Read 2724 times)

sobriquet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to dispose of migrants
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 07:50:36 pm »

This.  So much.

The ungodly amount of time spent on creating an elaborate way to prevent FPS death might as well be used to earn the money needed to procure a processor of sufficient strength to run the late game at an acceptable speed. :P

By the way, isn't there a bug which makes it so that atom smashed objects aren't unloaded from the memory?

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »

I take the first wave into my master fortress of mastery and the other waves are left to live in primitive hovels while the elite bask in luxury. The potash-making slaves mine and die for the great masters.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:21 am »

Close off the surface of your fort so the new migrants can't get in, nor current dwarves get out. Build a side chamber of your fort designated as a meeting hall, able to be flooded with magma. Seal off your fort and unlock the doors to the meeting hall. The migrants will all congregate there. Lock them all in, then apply magma.

Aha, excellent, just what I was looking for.  Thanks!

I believe I can simply convert my current flooding welcome chamber to this exact setup with a couple of pieces of furniture.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 11:14:36 am »

Why don't you use one of those non path-obstructing traps?
Like the magma forcefield or more recent technologies?
When migrants come, make trap entrance the only one available and enable alert that will force civilians to stay inside of fort.
Finally, set the pop_cap to desired number.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »

I have an idea.

Code: [Select]
#######
##bbb##
#!bbb!#
#!bbb!#
#!bbb!#

The #s are walls, the !s are constructed walls, and the b area is an atomsmasher connected to a lever. Seal this chamber off from the main fortress, and then when migrants come set the lever to Pull (R). Once the atomsmasher is functioning, designate the ! tiles for deconstruction. Any dwarves who take the job will have to do it from one of the tiles the atomsmasher comes down on, but they won't have time to finish it, thus the jobs will continue to ask for dwarves.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]