Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I hope this isn't a portent of things to come...  (Read 1565 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
I hope this isn't a portent of things to come...
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »

My fort--the Volcanoes of War--has two *slabs* as its symbol.

This does not bode well.  then again, it's bound to be Fun :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: I hope this isn't a portent of things to come...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »

Try having a fort named the "Halls of Incest"

Not So Fun...
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:23 pm »

Not So Fun...
But hey, Migrants won't be a problem.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:42:25 pm »

Not So Fun...
Isn't this what all livestock and pets do?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:28 pm »

Or a fort named "Virginal basement" (or was it the group name. I don't remember) embarking on the border of Forest of rape and Anal hills. Those evil regions have creepy names. (I admit that I chose that spot just because of the names.)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 11:52:33 pm »

Scruffy, are you using mods? I highly doubt that those words are native to the game.

Also, the Volcanoes of War is an incredibly dwarfy name. Beats mine, the Persuasive Furnaces, by a long shot.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:54:36 pm by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:54:38 pm »

Scruffy, are you using nods? I highly doubt that those words are native to the game.

Also, the Volcanoes of War is an incredibly dwarfy name. Beats mine, the Persuasive Furnaces, by a long shot.
It was a masterwork fort so that might explain the names. They confused me for a while too but I learned to enjoy them.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:00 pm »

Scruffy, are you using nods? I highly doubt that those words are native to the game.
They used to be. He may be either be playing the dirty words added back in mod or on a different version.

Ninjad
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:54:28 am »

Dwarfy huh? Well my current Civ's name is: The Strapping Trades.

'Tis beautiful, 'tis Beautiful.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »

Well if you are the kind of player who engraves the names of his foes, then this could be good.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 04:08:45 pm »

My fort--the Volcanoes of War--has two *slabs* as its symbol.
[Moses, coming down from the mountain holding three slabs]
Moses: "People of Israel! The Lord has given us these fifteen..."
[Drops one slab]
Moses: "These ten commandments to live by!"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.