Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice for an Adventurer trying Fortress Mode?  (Read 3533 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Advice for an Adventurer trying Fortress Mode?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:38:52 am »

All you technically need for a room, is a 1x1 tile with  a bed on it, but dwarves prefer slightly more. I prefer 1x4 rooms. Like this:

WWWW
D0+FW
WWWW

D= Door
0=Bed
+= Floor
F= Cabinet
W= Wall
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

dray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for an Adventurer trying Fortress Mode?
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:22:38 am »

If you haven't embarked yet and want less threats while setting things up, you could try to find an island without any goblin neighbors. Building a fortress in such a place means that you won't have seiges, but it also means that once you figure out how everything works, the game can become fairly boring. It also means that you'll need to make your own clothing after the first couple of years, and make prolific amounts of it, at that -- where one might use the clothes of dead goblins in other fortresses, there's none of that on an island. There may also be fewer trading partners, though I've found that dwarfish traders from the mountain homes always show up regardless of where you set up your fort.

My number one suggestion (as another newbie) is to pause the game every moment you aren't quite finished deciding where something should go (as things tend to go sideways very quickly!) and to read the quickstart guide on the wiki. Actually, reading everything related to any part of the game that you're curious about helps a lot. I find that the wiki can be vague on some aspects while going into a tonne of detail on others, and isn't always newbie friendly, but as time goes on you'll understand more.
Pages: 1 [2]