Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange pressure plate behavior?  (Read 400 times)

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange pressure plate behavior?
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:50 pm »

Edit: Never mind, apparently pressure plates toggle gear assemblies if built after them.

I've been getting some weird results when connecting pressure plates to gear assemblies. They're set to be triggered by citizens in a meeting area, and while they initially work as expected, disengaging the gear assembly when pressed, at some point after being triggered a few times the signal becomes reversed. Meaning, the gear assembly becomes disengaged by default and only engaged when the pressure plate is pressed down.

Trying to make minecart logic gates, one of the pressure plates triggered by cart weight started to have the same problem.

Doors attached to the same pressure plate seem to work correctly, only gear assemblies behave like that. Has anyone else experienced this?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:42:25 pm by QuantumMenace »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Strange pressure plate behavior?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:28:16 pm »

Your citizens might be sending trigger signals too often. You might want to read up the wiki section on Computing and trigger signals to see whether this is indeed the case.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:41:20 pm »

Whoops.

"Gear assemblies will appear to be unaffected by build order-- they will engage or disengage on the same tick that a pressure plate is triggered, regardless of build order-- but gear assemblies built after a pressure plate will not transmit (or stop transmitting) power until the tick following pressure plate activation (or 100 ticks after criteria are no longer met), whereas gear assemblies built before a plate linked to them will toggle at 0 and 99 ticks."

I had no idea that anything could toggle anything. Live and learn.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:48:14 pm »

It's possible that units are stepping on the pressure plate at the exact instant it's resetting and that the game is treating this as one event rather than two (though if this is what's happening, then it hasn't always been that way - I'm looking at the pressure plate logic from 0.23.130.23a and it worked just fine back then).

[edit] If the change is happening immediately following a linkage (e.g. the gear is connected to one pressure plate and you've just linked it to another one), then this would be because civilian-triggered pressure plates are effectively always linked while in the "on" state (since the mechanic is standing on it), and that's a bad thing when you're dealing with gear assemblies because they actually toggle rather than explicitly turning "on" or "off".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:10:59 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.