Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effective ballista deployment?  (Read 2078 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Effective ballista deployment?
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »

So, how do you think It would be best for me to effectively use siege engines? For refrence, here is a shot of the ground floor of my fort:

I'm guessing putting it behind the trade depot would work, but friendly fire is always a massive hazard.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Kaiserr

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Effective ballista deployment?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:34:48 am »

-snip-
I'm guessing putting it behind the trade depot would work, but friendly fire is too fun for me

FTFY
Wait, you type with your feet? That's badass.
DF: Beat people to death with their own appendages!

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:27 am »

pillboxes that have ballista looking in all 4 directions (gusse this would work haven't done seige enginnes yet)
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:53:02 am »

IIRC Ballista bolts do blunt damage due to a bug that has been around since 0.31.xx in April 2010. Ballistas worked properly prior to that, in 40d.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:12:25 am »

Remember that ballista operators are civilians.  Your entrance tunnel isnt massive, with ballistas behind fortifications behind the trade depot (im assuming youd put them behind the wall by the staircase north of depot) the operators will flee when the hostiles reach about halfway down the trap rows.

The exact flee distance seems to vary, but generally you want 20 tiles or so.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:53:54 am »

To maximize ballista effectiveness, you'll want to trap the bad guys on a narrow ledge between spiked pits and have the ballista bearing down on that. And yeah, it's important to leave enough space between the ballista operators and the bad guys. I suggest putting a ~10 tile empty corridor with fortifications in both ends in front of the ballistae. (The fortification in front of the foremost ballista prevents civilians from wandering in front of it.)

i.e.
Code: [Select]
^^^to outdoors
=###=

...10 or so empty spaces...

=   =
=   =
=###=
[Î]
 [Î]
  [Î]

= = wall
# = fortification
[Î] = ballista (facing north)

Like I said, I would have the entrance via a 3-wide road flanked with spiked pits and a retracting bridge in both ends to trap the enemy in the ballistas' field of fire. Oh, and don't forget you need a furniture stockpile set to accept siege ammo behind the ballistae, preferably right next to them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:56:20 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:54:06 am »

.... or you could put your ballistia behind your main hallway , for fun experiences .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:57:38 am »

Dump all of the ammo onto the ballista from above using a quantum stockpile. Crew it with a legendary operator.

Aim at enemy.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:37 am »

Wooden ballista bolts seem to do blunt damage, but metal ones seem to work okay.  Had a gobbo get cut in half by a steel bolt. 
Dump all of the ammo onto the ballista from above using a quantum stockpile. Crew it with a legendary operator.

Aim at enemy.

Three words:  Dwarven Gatling Gun.
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:08:35 am »

Aim at enemy.

Three words:  Dwarven Gatling Gun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)