Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart road rage!  (Read 917 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Minecart road rage!
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:57:38 pm »

So, "ride" means that instead of hopping in the cart for a free ride when someone's pushing it, the dwarves instead seem to just launch it so that it's kills all my drunian childs. Is this supposed to happen? I've seen dwarves do this so that one sits on the cart while other one guides it gently WITHOUT coloring my track red with innocent animal baby blood.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart road rage!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »

No can do. Ride is jump in, and push the wall.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »

You're misinterpreting it.

Guide: walk behind cart. Generally safe, although accidents can happen on ramps.
Push: give cart a shove and walk away. Fairly dangerous if there's access to the track.
Ride: give cart a shove and also hop onto it. As dangerous as pushing, with the added danger of the rider being injured in case of derailment.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:25:42 am »

Okay, thanks for correcting. Do dwarves "ride" when they just need to get somewhere? I'm thinking of a express underground highway.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 04:35:12 am »

Riding is a job in and of itself, so a dwarf busy with something else will not use a cart.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 04:41:04 am »

Too bad. By the way, if I build the track just 1 tile wide, can the cart still get derailed?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 07:58:30 am »

Yes. Walls are necessary to prevent derailment.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »

That depends on the speed of the cart. Rollers or dwarfpower alone can't make a cart derail (I have an automatic track switcher that relies on this), but add ramps and you start needing walls. Enough speed and even then a wall isn't enough to keep the cart moving or a rider inside.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »

I've seen highest power rollers derail without walls, but usually I build inside the walls to remove that problem.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »

What was the setup on the derailing roller?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:26:12 am »

It was built far to close to a corner ascending the outside of a casting tower. I pressed K once too many and the next thing I knew, the grass was on fire. As far as I can tell, the roller was accelerating it's entire length and the cart got too much speed going to make the turn. It would have been seven long. I was trying to throw the cart up too many ramps.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »

There was a change in levels? That might be it, as well as the speed of the cart. I've made long spiral ramps with no flat tracks that didn't derail at a certain speed*, but once the cart hit a section of flat track any further downramps would see it skipping the downramp and hitting the wall instead, even though the cart was moving into that tile at the same speed it had moved into the last downramp of the long ramp.

Code: [Select]
# = wall
. = track
R = roller
|,- = axles
* = gear

##.##
#*R##
#|...
#*---
#####

In this setup, with the roller pushing the cart south at the highest speed, it doesn't jump the tracks onto the tile with the axle.

*I add that qualifier because they did derail occasionally, in unpredictable places. It seems as though once a cart starts moving faster than one tile a tick, the code that looks ahead to the next tile to tell the cart how to behave stops working properly.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 04:35:42 pm »

Not until it would have gone around the bend, but it went shooting off the corner instead. Dropped 10z and smashed a duck.