Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lack of Sedimentary / Flux?  (Read 735 times)

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
Lack of Sedimentary / Flux?
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:04:24 am »

Hello again folks, longtime player here but is it me or is it damn near impossible to find any flux stone in 34.11? not to mention iron ores.

Seriously, I've had to reinstall DFhack because it's literally nigh impossible to find any-- bar the seemingly omnipresent Z -50 marble layers. I've genned many, many worlds up to now and sometimes it seems that my worlds just aren't genned with chalk or limestone.
I've messed with the volcanism as well, but even with incredibly low volcanicity and/or altering volcanism mesh it seems that I just can't find those juicy sedimentary layers anymore. Anyone else finding this a problem? Also any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of Sedimentary / Flux?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:02:16 am »

Lower the mineral amount, otherwise minerals crowd out the flux.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:38 am »

hm, holy HFS I think that might have actually fixed it. Upped Scarcity and I've already located two passable sedimentary embarks.

Been ages since I've seen good old chalk.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:43:24 am »

nope, no problem at all

advanced worldgen, scarcity at 200 (which is even below the settings in a standard worldgen), slightly lower volcanism mix.

tried 4 embark spots, all 4 had flux and iron
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:48:55 am »

You are completely wrong - all flux stones occur in layers, and minerals are placed after layer stones.

The only bug here is in the Site Finder - when there are a lot of minerals, it reports locations as not having flux even though they do.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:15 am »

Yeah, for some reason the finder NEVER shows flux stone on abundant, even though every single embark I've done has had flux. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:44:22 pm »

You are completely wrong - all flux stones occur in layers, and minerals are placed after layer stones.

The only bug here is in the Site Finder - when there are a lot of minerals, it reports locations as not having flux even though they do.
So it's the site finder then? didn't realise it was this bad.