Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Automatic Stockpile Chute??  (Read 3999 times)

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Stockpile Chute??
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »

An alternative would be to let your dwarves directly destroy some things, without needing to dump or stockpile them. I have a thread about this in the suggestions forum.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:50:12 pm »

If you're using a chute, you're dropping items. That means those items will do damage to anything they land on.

If you're using a chute to chuck things into the magma ocean or into an atom smasher then this doesn't matter.

If you're trying to use a chute to quantum stockpile useful items, then you're doing it wrong. These items will seriously injure and even kill dwarves trying to use the items. Also you do not need a chute to quantum stockpile things.

Make just a 1x1 garbage stockpile on flat ground, then have your dwarves dump a large number of items. They will place the items in that 1x1 zone and they will be quantum stockpiled without any changing of Z levels.

You can automate this using minecarts and minecart stops with the dump option enabled. While you can have a minecart dump things into a chute, this is only useful for garbage items. If the items are not garbage items simply have the minecart stop dump items onto level ground, right into a stockpile. Quantum stockpiling done.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:24:24 pm »

I had already forgotten about this thread...  :P

Indeed with minecarts now it is possible to do this.

You require in one single tile to:
1) carve or construct a Track
2) construct a Track Stop and set it to auto-dump in the desired direction
3) make new route and assign a mine-cart
4) set stop 1 to load from the source stockpile
5) make the quantum stockpile a stockpile that accepts the items being dumped there

No need to have two track tiles, no need to have a dwarf guide the mine-cart, basically what happens is that a dwarf takes an item from the source stockpile and puts it in the mine-cart which immediately auto-dumps it.

The quantum stockpile tile can be in the same z-level (no drop chute) and it's perfectly safe.

For an actual drop chute, the auto-dump tile should be a hole, and for safety you need some sort of system that makes sure that no dwarf is allowed access to the quantum stockpile while items are falling down the chute, this can be achieved in many ways...

My system for a safe drop chute involves having the stop auto-dump into a hole, this is the dumping level, so items fall down on the z-level bellow, this level has another hole covered by a hatch or a grate and should be completely sealed by walls, this is the buffer level, the level bellow this is where the actual quantum stockpile is, this is the pick up level, the tile with the quantum stockpile can only be accessed from one entry and after the dwarf enters he can only exit through another path, on his way out he steps on a plate that opens the grate/hatch above and drops whatever has been accumulated in the buffer level onto the actual quantum stockpile on the pick up level.

For instance, dwarf goes to pick up item on the quantum stockpile, to get there he has to go over a closed hatch, after passing the entry hatch he steps on a plate that opens the entry hatch behind him (thus he can not exit through the entry) and opens the closed exit door in front of him, he picks up the item on the QS, then goes over another plate that opens the drop chute to refill the QS, the new items fall from the buffer level on the QS while the dwarf leaves through the open exit door.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:28:09 pm by Kaos »
Pages: 1 [2]