Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping brook from freezing in winter  (Read 2210 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keeping brook from freezing in winter
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:07:06 pm »

I've got 'seasonal ice' on my embark zone. There's a little bit of brook on the surface I'd like to stop freezing (preferably without having to dredge up magma to the level below it!). I tried covering it up with a layer of floor one level above it but only got a few tantalizing tiles at the edge remaining a healthy green while everything else froze up as normal.

Will another level help? Or am I just imagining that building over rivers should stop them freezing?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping brook from freezing in winter
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

Dig out the level immediately under the brook. Then create flowing magma underneath the brook. You do not want it 7/7 magma. You want a flow.

The heat of the magma will keep the brook always fluid. However you can only get the tiles on the edge of the map flowing if you have rock at the edge of the map, in which case you can carve fortifications there and allow magma to flow off of the edge of the map, both allowing flowing magma as well as keeping the water source constant.

But this is a lot of work. Better to just make a large cistern that rapidly fills up during summer, and holds enough water to get you through winter.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:41:21 pm »

Dig out the level immediately under the brook. Then create flowing magma underneath the brook. You do not want it 7/7 magma. You want a flow.

The heat of the magma will keep the brook always fluid. However you can only get the tiles on the edge of the map flowing if you have rock at the edge of the map, in which case you can carve fortifications there and allow magma to flow off of the edge of the map, both allowing flowing magma as well as keeping the water source constant.
OP didn't want to go for the magma option first..
preferably without having to dredge up magma to the level below it!

Anyway, question to OP before proceeding to offer solution(s): why do you need this brook to be unfrozen?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, thats why!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »

There is no way to keep things from freezing in a freezing biome without magma.

So its either magma, or a seasonally filled up cistern. Its easy to drain enough of a river during even a short thaw in order to have plenty of water for winter. Or you can use water from underground sources.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »

There is no way to keep things from freezing in a freezing biome without magma.
True enough.. I personally use a magma-based solution to keep a river running during winter in Gearedsoldier.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »

Anyway, question to OP before proceeding to offer solution(s): why do you need this brook to be unfrozen?

Well, partly because of the waterwheel I've got there, partly because I'd like a continuous water source for water features on low levels but mostly "just because". :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:18:31 pm by ptb_ptb »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:18:10 pm »

Well, partly because of the waterwheel I've got there, partly because I'd like a continuous water source for water features on low levels but mostly "just because". :P
If "just because", then magma => dwarven logic.

As for continuous water sources, try extracting water from the caverns with a pumpstack if you really need to.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:47:37 pm »

OK, so the answer to my other question was "Yes, you're just imagining it."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:30 pm »

OK, so the answer to my other question was "Yes, you're just imagining it."
Correct. Once a tile is exposed to the freezing light, then it forever remains that way and will freeze regardless of further roofing projects.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.