Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WTF: I just got raided by a kobold squad  (Read 2690 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WTF: I just got raided by a kobold squad
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 08:57:58 pm »

Kobolds don't have [SIEGER] tag.

They do have [SKULKING] however. That makes siege/ambush based off of theft. It's the kobold tag that makes kobolds all koboldy.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 09:37:51 pm »

The only difference being - Dwarves can dig deeper, Kobolds cannot.
Why do you think they're constantly stealing the dwarfs' stuff? They just wanna be as cool and DANGEROUS as dwarfs. Awwww...
My wooden badge was delicious.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 10:44:18 pm »

Kobolds don't have [SIEGER] tag.
Goblins don't either, but they still send "sieges." The sieger tag actually makes them perform an extended siege. Without it, they spawn and immediately bumrush you. With it, they sit and make camp for a month or two before bumrushing you. Only humans and dwarves have the [SIEGER] tag.

Similarly, the [AMBUSHER] tag makes all attacking forces a civ sends begin in ambush. They'll still send ambushes in ambush without it, but with it sieging forces also start in ambush. Combining the [AMBUSHER] and [SIEGER] tags results in enemies that sit hidden at the edge of the map, with the only sign of their presence being a campfire, which can be pretty easy to overlook. It's actually kinda terrifying because you could go a whole month past the expected due date of the next siege and make the assumption that this season's gonna be perfectly safe so it's a-okay to let the dwarves out to do whatever, before getting ambushed by multiple siege-platoon-sized groups.

The [SKULKING] tag that acetech mentioned causes them to send attacks based upon thieves' success rates. More success leads to more attacks. the [ITEM_THIEF] tag actually makes them send thieves to steal your items - and makes them hostile to all other entities by default. ([BABYSNATCHER] makes them send thieves to kidnap youths, like goblins.)

Kobolds have [AMBUSHER], [ITEM_THIEF], and [SKULKING]. This means you'll rarely see sieges unless their thieves just keep taking all your crap and you keep making it easier on them, but that when they do send a siege, you won't be ready for it unless you're watching the clock/paranoid 100% of the time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 10:49:26 pm »

Now as a rebuttal, I will remind you that the strange dog looking things get easily eaten by real dogs. a mass of strong war creatures will easily rip the siege to shreds as soon as it decides to die. I mean we're talking about kobolds here, The things are weaklings. Any armed dwarf in my fort could easily dispatch the bastards.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

But if they're wearing the artifact adamantine breastplates they've stolen from you then you're in trouble. Although given the sort of artifacts that normally get made, it's more likely they'd be waving around Ckflokfthul, a gabbro grate.
My wooden badge was delicious.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 11:57:42 pm »

But if I am krenshala, Legendary Miscellaneous Object User and wielder of Ckflokfthul the Gabbro Grate, you could still be in trouble when me and my 30 siblings arrive to try and steal your silk socks. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 03:30:41 am »

Now as a rebuttal, I will remind you that the strange dog looking things get easily eaten by real dogs. a mass of strong war creatures will easily rip the siege to shreds as soon as it decides to die. I mean we're talking about kobolds here, The things are weaklings. Any armed dwarf in my fort could easily dispatch the bastards.
Eh, they can still bring enough bowbolds to kill civilian farmers.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 03:41:15 am »

and they are infamous for getting in lucky shots with those damn daggers

Urist McNearsighted bends down to see what is attacking him and gets stabbed in the face...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 09:02:34 am »

Yeah those bolds are nice. They've once helped me to break undead siege. A bunch of kobolds jumped out of hyperspace right near one of necros making the latter unable to raise things anymore and luring all the zombies to their position while my dwarves jumped out of secret tunnel near another necro. Only bowbold managed to escape the horde though.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 [2]