Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stone traps.  (Read 2742 times)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Re: Stone traps.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:50 pm »

Well, stone fall traps are awesome before you get a good metal industry going and if you think cage traps are cheap.  I usually have them as my first line of defense in a brand new fort, followed by cage traps, followed by dogs, followed by my Urist McGreenhorns.  Then eventually I replace them with weapon traps full of gobbo weapons, then finally replace those with *steel* stuff I made. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

So yes, can anyone confirm if their stonefall traps behave similarly? My game IS modded, although I haven;t touched the RAWs for anything but creatures.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 12:38:22 am »

My main issue with stone traps is dwarves travel to the other end of the earth to grab a rock and then bring it back, at a snails pace due to the new hauling update.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 03:31:54 am »

After doing some science with the new version, it looks like stonefalls traps are quite potent.

Each stonefall trap gets 5 attacks with the stone. It frequently crushes and shatters bones, to the point that in a single attack it may shatter 2-3 limbs or even kill the creature outright.

If you can afford to pack in 10 serrated discs into a weapon trap that of course is far superior. You get 30 attacks from that bundle of 10 discs, as opposed to a mere 5 attacks from a stonefall trap. The weapon trap also doesn't need to be reloaded if using discs but may need occasional cleaning.

However, stonefall traps aren't too shabby anymore. They're surprisingly effective for being so simple and cheap to make.
Pages: 1 [2]