Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best set of armour  (Read 17163 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Best set of armour
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »

You can't assign them an armour-only uniform, because the pick / axe / hunting gear is a uniform and overwrites any you would assign yourself. At least they wear something now instead of running around with only their pick to protect them, which makes a skilled miner a little less of a glass cannon than before.

I was afraid of that.  In the past, before I knew it was a problem, I had marksdwarves who were hunters and I didn't experience much trouble with the uniforms, and for some reason I seem to remember them wearing their armor while hunting.  Might have just been a case of the dwarf having only partially switched uniforms.  Oh well, making leather clothing should help at least.

Noob question here: by "equip civilians" you mean creating peaceful squad(s) (soldiers you never send to fight, nor train) and set up armor as for regular squads?

Yeah, that's the idea.  You put civilians in a squad, assign them a uniform with as much armor as you want, and maybe a weapon, but never set them to train.  That way they'll be wearing some armor if an ambush or thief pops up beside them.  It won't make a world of difference, but should help.  Unfortunately, as was just pointed out, hunters, miners and woodcutters don't work with this because the pick, crossbow and axe are parts of a hidden uniform that the dwarf will change into when they go off duty (i.e. all the time in this case), so they won't wear the armor or pick up another weapon correctly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »

Noob question here: by "equip civilians" you mean creating peaceful squad(s) (soldiers you never send to fight, nor train) and set up armor as for regular squads?

Usually that means fitting them out with crossbows and bucklers.

Militia Defense: Giving EVERYONE Crossbows
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113308.0

Which, at a minimum is a crossbow, quiver, buckler.  Although I usually also give them leather armor or iron mail shirts and iron chain leggings, along with a cap, cloak, hood and robe.  The chain mail shirt / leggings helps a lot with accidental damage, without slowing them down too much.

Militia crossbow dwarves will train, even if you set them to inactive year round, at an archery target if you have one setup for the squad.  They'll also do individual training at a weapon/armor stand if you configure one of those as well.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 10:44:25 pm »

If you like full iron armor, you can also give them gobliron helms and breastplates.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 02:52:24 pm »

Posting to follow, though this has already fallen to the second page. I like this kind of analysis and information!
Pages: 1 2 [3]