Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dig away, so far away - On evil biomes, clouds and rains.  (Read 3547 times)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dig away, so far away - On evil biomes, clouds and rains.
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:31:58 pm »

So evil climates. We all love them. But how many z-levels down must one dig to be safe from the re-animation effects, the evil fogs, and rain?

Im wondering if an wide open pit about 10 z-levels deep would be deep enough that no re-animation effect would reach it, or evil fog. Evil rain will obviously reach it though, but Im fine with having a pit full of blood or some vile murk ala sarlacc pit.

Or must one put levels and levels of solid stone, grates, airlocks, and stairs away from the surface so that the thralling clouds cant reach your dwarves and everyone doesnt get pushed to death by mussel shells?

Im thinking if the same mechanics that make grass grow on deserts when you channel a surface tile apply to the alignment of the biome or its effects/interactions.

tl;dr How deep must the rabbit hole go so Alice is safe from Racoon City?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dig away, so far away - On evil biomes, clouds and rains.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 02:08:01 pm »

All biomes extend all the way down to the bottom of the map. All the way down.

This includes evil biomes.

As the effects of evil biomes go all the way underground, you can rig up underground arenas full of zombies for entertainment, but you do need to be careful of where you situate your refuse stockpiles.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:15:57 pm »

How odd. I seemed to recall that there was a way to prevent re-animation effects of evil biomes by digging far down enough.
So how does one manage refuse stockpiles in evil biomes?
Guess Ill need a patch of non-evil land after all.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:48:50 pm »

How odd. I seemed to recall that there was a way to prevent re-animation effects of evil biomes by digging far down enough.
So how does one manage refuse stockpiles in evil biomes?
Guess Ill need a patch of non-evil land after all.

The biggest threat in re-animating biomes is from inside. Zombification is a reaction which grows exponentially ;) It only takes one mining accident to go un-noticed; one case of ghostly battery you didn't see... and before you know it an entire level of your fortress is contaminated with zombies!

This is why your fortress needs compartments like Titanic. You need to be able to lock down the infected areas. My next fotress in a reanimation biome is going to be like so:

The Rulers: The first 20 dwarves will live in an inner sanctum/castle. They will have their own food source and booze supply. 5 full time military, 5 part time military/haulers, 10 elite craftsmen (including leader/mayor).

The workers: 20-30 dwarves. I'm going to have to design a modular living space for these guys, such that when one module becomes infected it can be sealed off and the other modules used instead.

The surplus migrants: yeah, I'll just let these guys loose in the caverns (as normal).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20:45 pm »

Cage traps in strategic places are a great way to passively contain a hostile within your fortress. They do not break zombies into smaller chunks, and will also capture a berserk dwarf safely.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »

Evil WEATHER only affects the surface. So, even the thin layer of soil between z-levels will be enough to protect you. Unless you build a hole in your roof, I'm not sure how deep it would go then. Well, rain would probably reach the bottom of the pit, but huskifying mists are anyone's guess.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:04:01 pm »

I once tried embarking in an Evil site called the Hill of Crucifixion (wish I were kidding). Before my dorfs could even begin digging, a neon yellow cloud engulfed two of them and a horse. When the thralled horse killed my remaining miner, I figured it was time to give up the ghast.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:15:55 pm »

I haven't done extensive testing of this, but rains and clouds are stopped by enclosed buildings (walls and ceilings, and likely doors and hatches so long as they remain closed).  If you can build the structure during a clear period, you should be able to block out everything by the reanimating nature of the evil biome.

Think of the resulting connection of buildings as something not unlike what you see in the Antarctic research stations.  Have some fun with "Ice Fortress Zebra" or treat the whole thing as an ASCII version of "The Thing"

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:30:24 pm »

Think of the resulting connection of buildings as something not unlike what you see in the Antarctic research stations.  Have some fun with "Ice Fortress Zebra" or treat the whole thing as an ASCII version of "The Thing"
My intended target is a terrifying shrubland with a terrifying ocean and a savage rocky wasteland to the south, all with aquifer layers. So its more like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with midgets and every gun is a railgun.

It looks like I will need to use the desert which is a shame as I was hoping for a full on evil embark. There are diamonds in the ocean too, if prospector is to be believed. That or Ill make many necromancer adventurers and hope they migrate.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:56:31 pm »

Currently, in the TVTropes succession game, a couple people are (semi-jokingly) suggesting channeling out HFS's ceiling so that tiles down there will qualify as "Outdoors" and lethal glooms will spawn to thin the enemy's ranks.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:27:33 am »

You can of course shield yourself from the evil weather by staying underground, but the "evilness" goes all the way to the core.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:45:44 am »

Instead of digging deeper, you could try building higher. Much more Fun.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 09:07:23 pm »

My plan is to make a proper necromancer tower, so digging up is a must. Its just that I need to dig down first.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 07:39:01 am »

I favour throwing cage traps all over the inside of my fort, also doors, doors everywhere.
It's also a handy way for the blacksmith to train by making many cages in which the quality and the matrial don't matter.