Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haulers ignoring wheelbarrow settings  (Read 1099 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Haulers ignoring wheelbarrow settings
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:30 am »

I have my main stone stockpile set to three wheelbarrows.  My dwarves are using them, but there are still haulers without them that continue to transport stone by hand.

Quote from: DF Wiki
If wheelbarrows are assigned to a stockpile, dwarves will use them exclusively and cease hauling items to it with their bare hands, meaning that the number of assigned wheelbarrows is also the maximum number of active hauling jobs for said stockpile.

Is the wiki incorrect, or is there an additional setting that I need to check to make sure the stockpile only uses wheelbarrows for intake?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: Haulers ignoring wheelbarrow settings
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:32 pm »

If at any point you had the pile set to 0 wheelbarrows and unpause, then lots of Urists would have taken hauling jobs for it.  Then, if you change it back I think those hauling jobs will finish anyway. This is the only thing I can think of.

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haulers ignoring wheelbarrow settings
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »

If at any point you had the pile set to 0 wheelbarrows and unpause, then lots of Urists would have taken hauling jobs for it.  Then, if you change it back I think those hauling jobs will finish anyway. This is the only thing I can think of.

It's really hard to get them to use wheelbarrows reliably. When using stockpiles to move magma-filled minecarts from the depths to their final destination, I've had to create a custom stockpile that accepts nothing, add wheelbarrows, wait for them to be delivered, and only then enable iron minecarts. I invariably forget one of the steps and find them dragging the darn things 140 z-levels by hand, usually hungry/thirsty/sleepy by level -120. Even if you get the destination pile set up right, they'll look for *any* excuse to use some other non-wheelbarrow pile, so I've further had to forbid minecarts from everywhere else (since you can't just forbid iron ones). Oh, and they won't haul things to a pile that already has all its tiles covered by wheelbarrows (tho they're willing to leave a wheelbarrow on top of the item when they leave).

tl;dr: wheelbarrow-assited hauling is really touchy