Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stopping aggressive bin hauling behaviour?  (Read 704 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Stopping aggressive bin hauling behaviour?
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »

I'd like to make a setup in which dwarves go out and do post-siege cleanup by putting all goblin clothing in bins and putting it in a main clothing stockpile. Then they take the clothing out of the bins and take it to a minecart dumping onto a quantum stockpile near the depot, where the clothing is easily filterable by wear by searching for any goods with an 'x' in the name.

Everything goes fine until the clothes are dumped, at which point the dwarves take a bin to the quantum stockpile and put the clothes in the bin to be taken back to the main stockpile, at which point they are hauled to the minecart to be dumped. And so on.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping aggressive bin hauling behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:41:37 pm »

so you got an infinite loop? try designating an actual 1x1 cloth stockpile where your quantum stockpile is and set it up to accept whatever is being dumped there, since the clothes are already on a stockpile they won't be taken to the original stockpile again, unless you specifically set it up to give back to that stockpile.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:07:08 pm »

There was a stockpile underneath the dumpzone of the minecart, and it was set to accept clothing. That was the quantum stockpile.

I've gotten around the issue by making two main stockpiles, one with bins for standard-quality goods, and one with no bins for anything better. The second goes into a minecart dumping onto a quantum stockpile, and the first is left as-is and its contents taken to the trade depot whenever possible.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »

I've noticed that bins don't get along well with minecarts and quantum stockpiles. You just can't use bins at all for any goods you want to quantum stockpile with a minecart, or it just stops working.

However since you're quantum stockpiling the stuff anyways, your storage density is vastly higher than what any amount of bins will allow, so its still a win, and you can use the wood for things other than bins.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:01:54 pm »

Oh yes, that's true, but bins make cleaning up goblin clothing much quicker. There's more of that than there are body parts, corpses, and equipment combined, and while the equipment can be binned the storage is like 200 tiles away from the entrance and I don't want somebody dragging a nearly-full bin that distance. A minecart route would help, but it isn't set up yet.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:07:47 pm »

Oh yes, that's true, but bins make cleaning up goblin clothing much quicker. There's more of that than there are body parts, corpses, and equipment combined, and while the equipment can be binned the storage is like 200 tiles away from the entrance and I don't want somebody dragging a nearly-full bin that distance. A minecart route would help, but it isn't set up yet.

What do you make your clothing out of? Pig tail cloth, right?

Goblins don't use pig tail cloth as far as I'm aware.

Make two clothing stockpiles. One is a regular clothing stockpile in the middle of your fort that uses bins. Have it accept finished goods made out of ONLY pig tail cloth, and nothing else.

Make another small stockpile at the entrance to your fort that does not use bins, and accepts finished goods of clothing type that are made out of everything except for pig tail cloth. But only clothing type items.

Create a minecart route. Have it fill up with items from this outside stockpile, then create a track stop somewhere inside the fortress. Dumb the contents of the minecart into a 1x1 stockpile wherever you want.

This will mean a lot of short, quick hauling jobs with no bins from the siege mess to your minecart loading station, and then from there the full minecart is pushed inside the fortress. This same thing would also work with goblinite and corpses as well if you adjust the stockpile settings.