Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood emergency  (Read 731 times)

Last Friday

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Strange mood emergency
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:42:05 am »

So my carpenter went and claimed a mechanic's workshop, and now has sketched a skeleton. Assuming this meant he wanted bones, I dumped and unforbidded a horse skeleton and water buffalo skeleton outside the workshop, but he's not going for them. How can I get him to take them? (If I need to dismantle the skeleton into individual bones, I'm afraid I need a step-by-step guide on that.)

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood emergency
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:45:33 am »

yea, you need individual bones. just slaughter an animal in your fort.

z, Enter, then b on the animal you want to have slaughtered.
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:02 am »

If he sketches a skeleton he does indeed want bones, but you'll need to dismantle them from the skeletons for him. Butchers should be able to do this for you; if they aren't auto-butchering you can initiate the task manually at the workshop (curiously, the 'butcher an animal' task works on skeletons too, although all you'll get is the resulting bones).

Slaughtering / butchering fresh animals works just as well but gets you meat, skin and fat too.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:17 am »

Also note that the skeletons of tame animals are useless - butchers won't touch them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »

Howdy!  I just had this same problem, and I butchered my starting horse and camel before reading the "butchers won't touch tame animals" line.  So I hit z, then looked at my animals... and I have nothing but tame animals.  Then I looked through my refuse pile, and saw skin, skulls, etc., but no bones or skeletons.

Do I need to kill a wild animal to get the skeleton I need?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:45:36 pm »

Just slaughter one of your live tame animals and the bones should be immediately available to your moody dwarf. My comment above (from over 4 months ago) pertained only to the skeletons of tame animals that had died for some reason (combat, cave-in, drowning, old age, etc.) other than being slaughtered (since slaughtering doesn't even produce a corpse, just the results you'd get from butchering).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:56:29 am »

Also, note that you may need to move the skeletons closer to the butcher shop, or move the butchery shop to them, because butchery has a rather low maximum object range. If you go the route of killing the animal, it'll automatically be butchered if the killer was hunting it, but otherwise it'll probably be ignored due to the above problem.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.