Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrel Problems  (Read 681 times)

lkjggfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrel Problems
« on: July 31, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »

So in my food, I have plenty of food and ale, but whenever my hunters go out, the food they butcher and gather is wasted and rots. Normally it's been put in barrels but now it is just left to rot. I have been making plenty of barrels, but they don't seem to show up. I used t to look into the carpenter's shop and there were some barrels, but overall it seems like alot of the barrel I make are not showing up and if they do show up, aren't being used. I did set my stockpile with the ER keys to see what it did, but when I undid it nothing new happened.
Can anyone tell my;
A) Where are my barrels?
B) Why aren't they being used?
C) What does the ER toggle on stockpiles do?

Also, two off topic questions;
D) Whenever I tear down a wall near a stockpile, everything is thrown around, like the wood in the stockpile is all moved.
E) Is it normal, that when a segment of walls are torn down, all the material used to build it, are put in one pile for no apparent reason.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrel Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:39 pm »

D & E are a known bug - and can be used to move stuff around on purpose once you see how it works

My guess on food rotting would be that maybe you turned on "ignore food" in the (o) orders menu.

The E/R keys on the stockpiles determine the maximum number of containers which will be used in that stockpile to consolidate the contents of that stockpile into containers (using up fewer tiles).  In general, you either always set it to zero or to the maximum.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrel Problems
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:42:21 am »

That 'ER' toggle you refer to controls how many barrels your food stockpile will use.  In your case, you should set it to 'R' (maximum).  Make sure you have enough idle dwarfs with food hauling enabled, and if you find that you have too much raw meat piling up my suggestion is to cook it.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?