Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals available on embark?  (Read 2891 times)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Animals available on embark?
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:12:26 pm »

Started playing DF again after a long while when I heard about the new version.  One thing I've noticed is the animals available on embark... has this been changed?  It seems like there are a lot more now, and their costs are very odd.  For example, I'd never seen any Giant animals available before, and now I'll see everything from Giant Panthers to Giant Cave spiders available.  Oddly enough, the GCSes cost almost 2k (impossible), but Giant Panthers cost 51 (less than a goat).  There are even sentients available occasionally, such as Gremlins (1!?) and Giant Badger Men (300 or so).  The animals available also change between worlds, and match up exactly with the animals available by request from the dwarven outpost liaison.  Guessing it has something to do with your civ taming these animals in worldgen?  Also worth noting is that I'm using Lazy Newb Pack with Exotics turned off, which might affect this. 

Not complaining by any means, just embarked with a breeding pair of Giant Tigers (101 each) and Peregrine Falcons (13 each) instead of the standard Dog/Cat combo which should help my defense and FPS a lot.  Just interesting... especially the costs. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Animals available on embark?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:14:46 pm »

Yeah, if exotic is off then any civilization can tame [PET]s or [PET_EXOTIC]s... even dragons :P

I don't think availability at embark has anything to do with worldgen (although "general familiarity" seems to rely on that).
My wooden badge was delicious.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »

I don't know, it seems to be related to the world I'm using.  Each world has a different set of exotics available at embark and for request from dwarf caravans.  If I abandon/succumb to !!fun!!, the same animals are available.  Also seems like the majority of the exotics are cave-themed which seems dwarf-related.  If I had dfhack (didn't come with the new version of the pack, so I dunno if it's updated for the new version of DF), I'd embark as elves or humans and see if that affected it. 

Currently re-genning a few times to see if I can get a Roc/Dragon available.  Very much doubt it'd be affordable on embark, but if I could request it from the liaison I'm sure I could make enough arts & crafts to buy a pair when the caravan comes back in the second autumn.  So far the biggest I've seen are giant lions/tigers/bears (oh, my!) and GCSes... but we'll see ;)
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:27:18 am »

The animals that you can bring with you at embark are determined by what your parent civilization has access to.  Usually this is limited to the common domestic animals and tamable wildlife, but if you turned exotic animals off ... any creature they come in contact with is potentially tamable.  Giant cave spiders and other subterranean wildlife is normal to find in this way since the underground is everywhere and your civ will have found them.  The other animals will depend on the location of your mountainhome (if its in a jungle, you will see jungle animals).  The same logic applies to plants, trees, ores, and other materials.  So if for some reason your mountainhome has no iron, you won't be able to bring an iron anvil or any iron tools (how they are then able to make steel is a different story...)

Personally, I don't like playing with exotics off since immigrants can come in with any of those creatures as pets.  So even if you just wanted to be able to tame everything no hassle, but not cheatyface your way into overpowered pets, you can't.  Had an immigrant show up with a gremlin child as a pet.  That gremlin decided it was going to be a hunter, grabbed a crossbow and roamed about outside.  One day it shot down a forest titan.  Which was awesome and all, but I felt cheated out of doing it myself with my own military.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »

Which was awesome and all, but I felt cheated out of doing it myself with my own military.
Which, considering gremlins exist to irritate you, makes complete sense.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 12:05:53 pm »

The exotic tag isn't a problem for training and breeding now. You won't ever make the jump from Knowledgeable to Domesticated (it just doesn't work at the moment), but getting exotics from wild to tamed works just fine within a particular fortress. The captured adults get trained and stay that way as long as you have the trainers available, and the fortress-born offspring can be made tame.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.