Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves, reloading without patrol orders or burrows!  (Read 1056 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves, reloading without patrol orders or burrows!
« on: July 30, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »

I just noticed the following bit on the wiki for Crossbowman/Marksdwarf, new for 34.11:

"If you'd prefer your marksdwarves to reload instead of going into melee combat, you can go to the military menu, view their squad, and then toggle c to tell them to stay close to their station. This will cause them to go and collect bolts, then start shooting again, instead of either standing in place because they don't have a path to the enemy, or running out to smack the enemy with their crossbow."

WHAT?!  I've wanted something like this for ages!  While we had workarounds for this, a simple option is niiiiice.  Has anyone used this a lot?  Does the ammo bin still need to be out of sight of all foes?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:52:11 pm by VerdantSF »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves, reloading without patrol orders or burrows!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:57 pm »

Which military screen? I just tried finding it, and couldn't.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:51:43 pm »

That's nice. But I wouldn't want all that axedwarf cross training to be wasted with my marksdwarf squads would I now...

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:57:05 pm »

This is.....bogus?  :o  Tried it, there's no option like that.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »

To avoid any confusion, the information in the OP is extremely outdated and currently incorrect.

Please produce a screenshot of this in 34.11 to prove me wrong. It would be nice if this feature was in the game, but it hasn't been in the game for years now.

In the old version prior to caverns and the new military system you could order dwarves to stay close to station.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:17 pm »

Argh, I was at work and couldn't test this.  Yeah, I now think it's bogus, too.  I looked everywhere for an option like that.  I didn't see a similar wiki entry for 31.25, so I assumed it was a new feature :(.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Crossbowman

This is what happens when people copypaste wiki content from previous versions forwards without editing/verifying.

Somehow http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Crossbowman has an "exceptional" rating.