Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attempting a class specialization society  (Read 549 times)

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attempting a class specialization society
« on: July 30, 2012, 04:39:31 pm »

My first attempt at building a fortress sectioned off into burrows and different sections of the fortress, like the wood section the stone section, and so on. Well it was working well, everyone was specialized and were able to help move stone and items when they weren’t busy. Everyone was completly their jobs nicely for the betterment of the fortress, food was a problem but I was still in the process of setting my farms up (Even though I can still never get a sustainable food from them) until my broker got possessed and wanted to build something.

My broker went mad and went berserk on my just under two year old fortress. He killed 16 of my 20 dwarves but praise be to Armok the miners and the expedition leader was spared, that and a mason. So now I have to build enough coffins and spaces for them and of course deal with seven Dwarven children who have all lost their loved ones…one Dwarven child jumped in the river and killed himself shortly after….and never mind my expedition leader bled out…

Dwarven child went berserk and was struck down by my remaining three dwarves… the other children seem to be stepping up and walking through the miasma into adult, I had a few of them attending meetings by the new expedition leader...Never mind one just went stark raving mad.

Woo Migrants arrived now I can reb…undead siege…

First attempt at creating a specialized class structured society…

Any tips?
Back in my day our games were so cool they didn't have pictures. It was all text based...Imagine its like a text message and you have to text what you are doing before the other person or you died...

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: Attempting a class specialization society
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »

Hmm, classbased forts can be a pain in the a$$ but tipswise all I can really say is that it's a lot simpler if you wall off the two sides instead of burrowing(saves you a lot of micromanagement). I'd also suggest some clever usage of minecarts since they can be pretty much automated, I'm picturing two seperate forts only connected by a maze of intricate tracks running throughout the depths of the mountain. Well, Gl :P
oh, and btw foodchutes ;)

Sig Tau Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting a class specialization society
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:04:03 pm »

I was going off a system of everything, industrail wise, was on the same floor with the dining room as its center, with each hallway to each section with a retractable bridge for protection (So for example if I had gotten the bridges up I could have saved most of my stone and wood dwarfs) along with their own squad, properly named of course. Of course the Nobles have their own area but I didn't get that far. I was getting ready to begin stockpiling forbidden food in each section in case I had to quarteen the area they would starve or die of thirst.
Back in my day our games were so cool they didn't have pictures. It was all text based...Imagine its like a text message and you have to text what you are doing before the other person or you died...