Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crystal Glass Window  (Read 567 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crystal Glass Window
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:36:01 am »

My otherwise un-objectionable baron has made a demand for a crystal glass window in his bedroom.  Okay, let's see...

--I have 9 peices of raw crystal glass.  But when I try to make the window it says needs pearlash.

--I try to make pearlash, but I need potash.  So I make potash, but the option to make pearlash is still red in the Kiln.

Do I have what I need to make the window?  Any reason why I'm struggling to make pearlash?  How bad is it to not meet a demand?

Thanks!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Glass Window
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:07:25 pm »

Failing a demand results in a mild unhappy thought for the noble and not really anything else. Failing mandates are the ones that will get innocent dwarves jailed and/or beaten.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:21:16 pm »

In order to make a crystal glass window, you need rough rock crystals and pearlash (and fuel) - the former are gotten from mining, and the latter may be failing due to burrow problems (order it from the Job Manager and it should work).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »

A mildly unhappy thought for a noble!! Oh no!! Whatever shall I do?

<mumble, grumble> Nobles give me a mildly unhappy thought.  <grumble>

But joking aside, I torn down and rebuilt my kiln and now I am able to make pearlash.  So we'll see where this leads.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »

You don't make windows or other items out of raw glass; you make them out of the raw materials themselves. In this case, out of the rock crystals and pearlash. All you can do with "raw glass" is use it as a gemstone.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »

Yeah, I found that out.  Now the task is cancelling for the right reason -- No glass-making rough gems.  Maybe I can get lucky with the next caravan.

Thanks

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »

Caravans don't bring rough gems. If you don't have rock crystal on-site, you can't make crystal glass items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.