Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast Problem  (Read 1604 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeast Problem
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:56:30 am »

So my fortress was doing well, no deaths,besides a poor puppy stabbed by a kobold thief, When i got an announcement that a werechinchilla was attacking. Picturing the man sized rodent in my head i though " Oh how dangerous could it be?" Turns out it instantly slaughtered one of my hunters that was stalking unicorns. I sent my military of 5 decently trained dwarves, lost 1 instantly, and 1 other was bitten and sent to the hospital, but we killed the werebeast. I COMPLETELY forgot that bitten dwarves will transform, so a few moons later my macedwarf turns into a werebeast,kills 2 people and infects 2 more, now confined to the hospital. The way I see it, every time one attacks someone will get bitten, I put cage traps in my hospital to keep them from rampaging through my fort when they turn but, is there a better way to handle this?  ???

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeast Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:19:56 am »

magma? anyway , you just got 3 super warrior dwarves with the ability to heal all wounds , now do it for the rest of the dwarves and you won't need hospital ! necromancer siege is nothing if your dwarves are werebeasts.
can you butcher the were chinchilas corpse? if yes then you will get infinite food ! i guess were creatures don't have to eat.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:25:26 am by brainfreez »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:51:43 am »

Hmm I've been lucky so far, all the werebeasts I have encountered have shifted back to normal before anything scary happened. But, my advice would be to terminate them. With extreme prejudice. Or lock them into their bedrooms so that if your fort gets overwhelmed by a siege they will be the last line of defense.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 08:11:37 am »

wait until a were ass comes , kill it , butcher it , make ass leather caps , helms and masks. feed your dwarves with ass meat , make ass bone bolts , etc.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:32 am »

So my fortress was doing well, no deaths,besides a poor puppy stabbed by a kobold thief, When i got an announcement that a werechinchilla was attacking. Picturing the man sized rodent in my head i though " Oh how dangerous could it be?" Turns out it instantly slaughtered one of my hunters that was stalking unicorns. I sent my military of 5 decently trained dwarves, lost 1 instantly, and 1 other was bitten and sent to the hospital, but we killed the werebeast. I COMPLETELY forgot that bitten dwarves will transform, so a few moons later my macedwarf turns into a werebeast,kills 2 people and infects 2 more, now confined to the hospital. The way I see it, every time one attacks someone will get bitten, I put cage traps in my hospital to keep them from rampaging through my fort when they turn but, is there a better way to handle this?  ???

Some ideas -

Leper Colony - Keep them separate from the rest of your Dwarves and you won't have to worry as much about them. Kind of like with Vampires being locked into a little room, except if you are careful with the timing you can move them about after their transformations without worry about them running off to kill someone.

Reverse Leper Colony - Instead of locking your Were-Dwarves away, lock your other Dwarves away. Basically this works well in more dangerous embarks since you'll have a few Dwarves connected to the outside rather then all of them.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:29 am »

magma? anyway , you just got 3 super warrior dwarves with the ability to heal all wounds , now do it for the rest of the dwarves and you won't need hospital ! necromancer siege is nothing if your dwarves are werebeasts.

It's highly likely having a 100% were creature fort during the full moon instantly causes your fort to crumble. Werebeasts are easy to deal with, just make sure you station your were-dwarves in a quiet area of the fort before full moon. It happens once a month and lasts for about 2 days, then they're functioning Dwarves all over again.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:05:42 am »

It's highly likely having a 100% were creature fort during the full moon instantly causes your fort to crumble. Werebeasts are easy to deal with, just make sure you station your were-dwarves in a quiet area of the fort before full moon. It happens once a month and lasts for about 2 days, then they're functioning Dwarves all over again.
Nope, someone tested that. Dunno where though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:09:52 am »

See, I heard that werebeasts, when transformed, don't count towards fortress population, so if everyone's a werebeast then you lose at the next full moon.

Therefore, lock a single vampire in a tiny room, make him your bookkeeper and proceed as usual with the werebeast fort.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 11:48:33 am »

Don't they dump their clothes when they transform? If so, it would result in an extremely unhappy population thereafter.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »

The only werebeast encounter I've had was an invasion from a were-chinchilla.

It didn't make it past the gatehouse before being pincushioned by dozens of goblinite bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 02:07:31 pm »

Nope, someone tested that. Dunno where though.
Yeah I'd like to see proof on top of the theory. Were-dwarves transformed count as berserk, and berserk Dwarves most definitely do not keep your fort alive.