Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy sherrif murders child, dies to beating squad  (Read 1416 times)

BlondRobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crazy sherrif murders child, dies to beating squad
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »

My sheriff, in an attempt to arrest one of my unhappy peasants who was throwing a tantrum, apparently got in a brawl with a child and some form of animal. He decided that the child was deserving of death for whatever percieved crime he commited and hewed him down, and was then promptly beaten to death by the rest of the fort.

Any idea how this would happen? Mind you, it solved my problem of having to fulfill his needs (until the next one comes along...), but I'd rather he didn't just up and kill my kids in the future.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Crazy sherrif murders child, dies to beating squad
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »

The sheriff is notorious buggy.  Every time I fix the arrest sequence, he finds a way to break it next month -- this usually involves him killing things.  At least they seem to fight back now.  They used to just take it.  I'm working on this, forever apparently.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:43:00 pm »

Didn't want to start a new bug report thread for this one (since it's been reported before), but I did want to mention that, quite logically, I suppose, the fortress guard do this, too.  I just had one hew all the limbs off of my master jeweler and my House Ber noble whilst pursuing an unruly peasant before I had the sense to remove him from duty.

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:57:00 pm »

Addendum: This also leads to additional problems, since apparently the Captain of the Guard then attempts to arrest the member of the fortress guard who just engaged in wrongdoing.  There was quite the little bloodbath before justice was done.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:03:00 pm »

The law of dwarf town frightens me.

I just discovered that my captain of the guard went on an arrest rampage.  The victims include:
My broker, 59 days in prison.
My mayor, 65 days in prison.
My legendary demi-god of a miner, 66 days in prison.
A craftsdwarf, 68 days in prison.
A farmer, 69 days in prison.
My manager, no sentence pending.
Another farmer, beating.
Head of the miners guild, 57 days in prison.
A craftsdwarf, beating.
My governor, beating.

Now what did all of these people do to receive such harsh penalties?  "Violation of Export Prohibition.  Injured party: Nil Delernomal, Governor."

All these people got punished, including the governor, for violating the governor's export prohibition?!  All this because I mistakenly sold a bunch of goblin copper items when there was a prohibition against selling copper items.  The ban was apparently such a big deal that even the governor carried items to the depot!

[ September 25, 2006: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 01:10:00 am »

um... is the prohibition broken for things being carried to depot.. or after they are sold?

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 08:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>um... is the prohibition broken for things being carried to depot.. or after they are sold?</STRONG>

I believe it's for after they are sold, but since it wasn't really the dwarves who sold them, I can only assume the dwarf who carried it is the one punished.  After all, the captain can't come out of my monitor and punish me for violating the prohibition, since I'm the guy (a scary nebulous force in the dwarven world) who actually sold it.  The only other person to charge is the one who carried it to the depot.  Or is some other thought process used by the sheriff for deciding guilt?

It still cracks me up that the governor was beaten for violating his own mandate.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 10:49:00 am »

Well, everyone must abide by the same laws, even those who create them!

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grue:
<STRONG>Well, everyone must abide by the same laws, even those who create them!</STRONG>

Hahaha, clearly you have more respect for politicians than I do.  ;)

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 07:44:00 pm »

I guess if you live in Texas, the reach to calling this a 'buggy sheriff' must actually be quite a big one.

X