Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS THING!?  (Read 14983 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS THING!?
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2012, 11:11:18 am »

I have a family member who is violently allergic to hairy caterpillars. One only has to fall out of a tree nearby and she'll start sneezing.

I am fascinated as to how she found this out.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:04 am »

But, centipedes. Goddamn centipedes.
I like all insects, except maybe flies. Fuck flies. Last week I chipped a wall crushing a fly to death with a brass pipe. I even refused to kill a poisonous spider that was nibbling my chest.
#Note, painful.

But centipedes... Don't get me wrong, the big ones are ok. It's the small ones. I remember one of my childhood years in Malaysia.
I'll give you a hint here : Malaysia is one of the most bio-diverse countries in the world.
True definition : Everything is poisonous and regularly trades angry things with Australia. There's even myths about snakes that have started enjoying killing people...
Ah well, back to the story.
Once I fell into the sewers there. Guess what came out of the darkness, right in front of my face?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And its bite can kill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scolopendra_subspinipes
Oh look, apparently they also move towards vibrations.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2012, 11:41:51 am »

This thread is pure unadulterated nightmare fuel.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2012, 11:54:03 am »

never seen cicadas that big, but we have flys here that look like mosquitos the size of your hand, and also i saw a local very endangered worm that's probably related to this one: http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/infosheets/giant-gippsland-earthworm/

That's one adorable caterpillar.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:55:43 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2012, 11:57:31 am »

This thread is pure unadulterated nightmare fuel win.

Fixed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »

Once I fell into the sewers there. Guess what came out of the darkness, right in front of my face?
And its bite can kill.
That's not a centipede, that's a deleted scene from Prometheus:o
Seriously....I'm fully expecting another mouth to come out of its mouth before it burrows straight through to your heart.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2012, 12:05:00 pm »

never seen cicadas that big, but we have flys here that look like mosquitos the size of your hand, and also i saw a local very endangered worm that's probably related to this one: http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/infosheets/giant-gippsland-earthworm/

That's one adorable caterpillar.
That's what she said.

the worm is kinda cool too

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »

Not especially scary (unless they land on you and hang on), but incredibly annoying:

These stupid fishflies come around in June, stick around for exactly one month, and proceed to disappear. In the meantime, they literally cover the sidewalks, sides of buildings, cars, trees, grass, and anything else they come into contact with. They don't move if someone is passing by (usually) and make a really unpleasant crunching noise/feel when you squish them. If you're unlucky, they'll be flying when you're around and will latch onto you/your clothes/your bike/the inside of your house and will NOT LET GO. Enjoy going on a stroll through town at 32ish Celsius with these things taking a ride on your face.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »

That's nothing a liberal application of bug spray and fire can't solve.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:07 pm »

Or beekeepers' hats.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2012, 03:02:47 pm »

And its bite can kill.
That's not a centipede, that's a deleted scene from Prometheus:o
Seriously....I'm fully expecting another mouth to come out of its mouth before it burrows straight through to your heart.
The way it flung itself out of the shadows kinda gave the same impression to past-me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2012, 03:08:12 pm »

To contribute something: I remember when I was a kid and lived out in the bush, there were all sorts of horrifying bugs. One time I found a giant moth in my dog's water bucket- it was still alive, and the thing was about as big as a small bird/finch!
When it flapped its wings it was actually splashing water out of the bucket.
We actually get 3-6 inch long moths on a fairly regular basis during moth season up where I live. There aren't that many in comparison to the number of normal moths, but you still end up seeing 1-2 every night on the windows during the hatching period. We just call them "lunar moths" in reference to Dr. Doolittle.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2012, 04:52:30 pm »

That's nothing a liberal application of bug spray and fire can't solve.

If the buildings that they hung around on weren't flammable, that would probably be the most straightforward solution.

Or beekeepers' hats.

A month of wearing beekeeper hats? Besides that, that doesn't get rid of the ones on the ground/walls/your body.

Or a salt gun.

Now there's a solution! Only problem I can see is that you would need a veritable mountain of salt to get all of them.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]