Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble managing clothes!  (Read 2396 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble managing clothes!
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:44:10 pm »

So every goblin or troll drop about 10 pieces of clothes, every dwarven child claim  twise as mush clothes as an adult, the FPS is below 60, the leather worker is busy making mittens but some marksdwarves always fail to pick up them, but some axedwarves, who are angry for long time training and very close to become axelords, always stop sparing to pickup equipment.
What a mass!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble managing clothes!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:40:54 pm »

My problem is they're all complaining about old clothes, and there's clothes all over the floor...

I've been making mainly shoes and socks, as well as some shirts and dresses... It wasn't for awhile that I realised I had a ton of dwarves running around without pants on... Oops...

And I'm still having trouble dealing with all those clothes
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:13 am »

The sheer quantity of invader gear is a good reason to set up your defenses so that invaders aren't too far away from your fortress when they get wasted. Or, you could just leave all invader gear forbidden and/or hide it so it's not an issue. Of course it will pile up eventually and you'll probably want to atom smash it or use dfhack's "autodump destroy" to help your FPS.

It takes 7-8 years for clothes to completely wear out.  If the clothing in this game were even remotely realistic (wore out way faster) you would have to have 20-30 tailors slaving away nonstop in a big fort. But you can just grow pig tails like there's no tomorrow or buy all the cloth from caravans and it's not that hard to make more than enough clothes.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 01:57:08 am »

Keep a list of your fortress's garbage dump locations on a sticky note.
  • Just inside the walls. Activate this one to recover siege loot.
  • Have a dump in your prisoner processing room. disarm and play with your new toys.
  • Incinerator. Activate this one after your haulers have taken all the meltables from the loot dump to the forge. enjoy the smell of burning useless crap?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:00:09 am »

Refuse stockpiles are good for getting rid of old clothes. By allocating a couple of bins to refuse stockpiles, you can get old clothes for trade off to the elves.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:25:29 pm »

Also keep in mind that dwarfs only need three things to be fully clothed: upper body covering (shirt/robe), lower body covering (trousers) and shoes.  If you're really interested in keeping clutter down, don't even give your dwarfs access to items other than those three.  When invaders drop a bunch of crap, just forbid it all until a caravan shows up - then unforbid it and haul it to the depot.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:15:47 pm »

If the quality is high enough, or you have enough other positive happiness factors, you could probably get away with just a tunic or dress and shoes. The stereotypical roman had sandals, tunic, belt and maybe a cloak. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 12:56:50 am »

Also keep in mind that dwarfs only need three things to be fully clothed: upper body covering (shirt/robe), lower body covering (trousers) and shoes.  If you're really interested in keeping clutter down, don't even give your dwarfs access to items other than those three.  When invaders drop a bunch of crap, just forbid it all until a caravan shows up - then unforbid it and haul it to the depot.
But I can't stop them to pick up leather mittens which were produced for the military.
I don't care about the mittens, really, except that every time I produced a pair of masterwork mittens, all my soldiers will go 'Pickup Equipment' in sequence, wasting a whole month without any sparing. I hope this spiral picking-up should stop when every soldier has a pair of masterwork.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:29:36 am »

But I can't stop them to pick up leather mittens which were produced for the military.
I don't care about the mittens, really, except that every time I produced a pair of masterwork mittens, all my soldiers will go 'Pickup Equipment' in sequence, wasting a whole month without any sparing. I hope this spiral picking-up should stop when every soldier has a pair of masterwork.

Even then their mittens will wear out and have to be replaced periodically, or they will get the "wearing tattered clothing" bad thought and eventually "clothes rotted away".
Anyways I do exactly what Dwarfler suggested. In fact I wouldn't even claim enemy clothes for the caravans, just dump it in an incinerator or atom smasher. As soon as any of it is claimed your dwarfs will be all over it. The only things my dwarves wear in my current fort is silk robes, trousers, shoes and leather hoods, and the hoods aren't even necessary but I needed to do something with all the leather. You might get some angry dorfs when all the loincloths and socks and whats have you rott away on their body without replacement, but once that's done their inventory screen takes up only a few lines as opposed to multiple screens. Very nice for military dwarves too, if you use "wear equipment over clothing".
Incidentally anyone have any idea if clothing material factors in how fast it decays? Will leather last longer than silk?

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:44:42 pm »

If the quality is high enough, or you have enough other positive happiness factors, you could probably get away with just a tunic or dress and shoes.

Just FYI, high-quality clothing does not give any happy thoughts (lame but true).  And actually, I doubt you could get away with that idea - not having lower body covering is a *very* big negative thought.  You'd really have to be on top of things to keep a fortress full of trouserless dwarfs from tantrumming on you.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:47 pm »

That is correct.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »

I usually take all the invader and caravan's clothes and use all the low quality cloth bins the caravans bring to train my clothiers by sewing images on the clothing, also my dwarves first clothes, the ones they bring when they first migrate when they get worn I also process them this way and sell to the caravans.

When my clothiers produce clothes for my own fort consumption they make high quality cloth which is made into high quality clothing items. All the cloth also gets dyed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:47:12 pm by Kaos »

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 08:50:55 pm »

so a dwarf doesn't care if (s)he's wearing a rag or the best ever loincloth, they'll just sit there, not bothered?
what about the "made a satisfying acquisition" thought? I think they get those when picking up a new item for themselves, isn't it affected by quality?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »

so a dwarf doesn't care if (s)he's wearing a rag or the best ever loincloth, they'll just sit there, not bothered?

Blech.  So my wishlist for clothes is:

- They get happy thoughts from wearing masterwork stuff
- Masterwork wear out slower (which may already be true?)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 09:09:15 pm »

The only things my dwarves wear in my current fort is silk robes, trousers, shoes and leather hoods
But I want my military wear mittens. How to stop all the losers from picking up the mittens before the military?
and don't you have a sock?