Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Travelers  (Read 1090 times)

Dickso

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Travelers
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »

I thought of this while building my last fortress. Instead of building a stronghold, I decided to try to build a partly-above-ground city. It turned out pretty impressively. It was well defended, and its craftsmen made the city filthy rich. I wanted to base the city's wealth on something exotic like silk clothing, but my master cooks ended up producing the most valuable goods, so I guess the city ended up being a giant restaurant instead. But eventually the king (well, vampire queen) ended up taking residence there! But as much as I wanted the city to be some magnificent capital, nobody ever came there but a few merchants and the occasional goblin horde.

So, I thought, what if the game tracked different types of traffic travelling around the world? I know plans are already in the works to track armies moving across the world, but it would be fun to see a variety of people regularly passing through your area. You know, merchants moving between civilizations, villagers taking goods to cities, soldiers patrolling, adventurers wandering around looking for dangerous areas, and so on. And depending on where your fortress is, you could encounter characters moving between destinations or even entice them to make your fortress a stop on the way to their destination.

If you built your fortress along a major road, travelers would pass through. You could build inns, taverns, shops, etc for them, or you could turn them away at the gate, or drop them into a pit and take their valuables, or whatever else you felt like. If you built your fortress near a frontier, scouts and war parties might come by to resupply. If your fortress was in a really dangerous area, adventurers would use it as a home base and even bring loot back to your fort to sell. You could even build your fortress in a mountain pass or on top of an existing road and charge a toll or completely stop anybody who tries to pass through and see how long it takes for an army to intervene. And so on.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Travelers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:23:53 am »

I do believe this is planned. Especially taverns.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

louismoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:23:44 am »

I like those ideas, sometimes there just are not enough goblin seiges/ambushes to worry about.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:17:37 am »

after a particularly bad loss for the goblins, they take a year or two to come.  i'd love if inns and taverns were added in next, after this release was.. released.  being able to have all sorts of diffrent people gather in your tavern for gambling and fights would be alot of fun.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

forward

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:36:48 am »

Travelling circuses are necessary.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:53:45 am »

Wait, do you mean real circuses, or cotton-candy, clown-filled !!CIRCUSES!!?
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:12:13 am »

Wait, do you mean real circuses, or cotton-candy, clown-filled !!CIRCUSES!!?

I think he/she means real circuses.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:53 am »

I think he/she means real circuses.
Aw, but the other kind would be much more !!Fun!!.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:31:33 am »

Yeah but actual DF clowns would be more fun. My Fort has a distinct lack of jesters juggling fire snakes.

Not all features are out to kill your Dwarves!

d_V

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 05:26:10 pm »

This would be awesome!

Some way to differentiate between when it was an inimical dorfmaster and some magma and pumps and when it was when the idiot traveler running into a group of kobolds/goblins/elephants (Boatmurdered).

Also, wouldn't it be cool to give sanctuary to some? Like they were being pursued by some faction or another and they needed a place to hide, and you could kick 'em out or help 'em if you so wished (or help 'em and then drop them down a pit) and then the other faction/civ would show up and you could turn over their bits for a reward, or drop them down a pit too.

And magma.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 10:29:19 am »

Yeah but actual DF clowns would be more fun. My Fort has a distinct lack of jesters juggling fire snakes.

Not all features are out to kill your Dwarves!

Back in the day, I thought the clowns were actual clowns for several months.  To this day I still have a dreamlike image of real clowns living beneath the surface, kind of entertaining themselves but secretly waiting for visitors to arrive whence they release all their pent up entertainment-energy.  So I approve of clown clowns.  Clowns.  What a silly word.  Clowns travelling to the fort by road would make a smidgen more sense than clowns underground.  Yes.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 11:37:16 am »

So how about a compromise?

Clown clowns travelling the world in wagons made from cotton candy, bringing !!Fun!! and entertaining everyone at the same time? The desire for post-apocalyptic scenarios seems to be there, if the modding forum is anything to go by...  ;)

Travellers would definately be fun, either way. Hostile or no, they would add loads to the atmosphere of the game.

Also, wouldn't it be cool to give sanctuary to some? Like they were being pursued by some faction or another and they needed a place to hide, and you could kick 'em out or help 'em if you so wished (or help 'em and then drop them down a pit) and then the other faction/civ would show up and you could turn over their bits for a reward, or drop them down a pit too.
That one, I can definately support. Especially if they could also set up enclaves in your fort over time, and make bizarre demands of you.

Plus, all those elven caravans getting killed by rampaging werebeasts and megabeasts... I would completely support a way to easily get rid of all those bits of wooden armour and clothing that clutter up my storehouses. DFHack-ing, atom-smashing and dumping into magma is starting to feel a bit cheap at this point, and being able to give all the stuff back would be a nice thing indeed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 11:54:23 am »

And can you just imagine that? A travelling troupe shows up to your Fortress where all are sad and melancholic, and then they set up a carnival to entertain your Dwarves!
[Productivity may decrease but it's a lovely image]. If you keep the carnivals safe maybe your Fort could eventually become famous for entertainment and shows!