Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blindness  (Read 4204 times)

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blindness
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »

How does being blind affect a dwarf?  After an encounter with a megabeast, several of my civilians have lost their vision, however, they still seem to function as normal.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blindness
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:56:29 pm »

They can't see.  They'll still follow orders, but they won't do stuff that requires seeing.  For example, a military dwarf won't charge in recklessly at every enemy he sees.  Or rather, he will, but since he never sees enemies it never comes up.  Makes him more controllable.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »

Civies also won't freak out over that horribly dangerous gopher five tiles away that can't reach them.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »

On the other hand, they also won't freak out about that charging elephant five tiles away, either.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »

Train one or two of them as siege operators. Blind dwarves make great siege operators.

Seriously! This isn't like the time everyone told SpiralDementia that he should pull out the adamantine sword! I swear by the blood of a couple dozen dwarves who died in my most recent fortress that died!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »

Well it makes sense.  Siege ops pretty much only have military applications, but because they're not military, they panic when they see trouble coming.  Hard to see trouble coming when you can't see.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:26:26 pm »

blindness is actually helpful in many situations. Hepful enough that the masterwork mod pack includes the option to blind your dwarfes temporarily and calls it "encourage dwarf"

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:53:45 am »

I feel obligated to post the video of "Lightning the Blind Crossbow Champion".

Seriously, though, the main thing that's gone on with me vis-a-vis blindness is that the dwarves tend to fall down. A lot.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:26 am »

blindness is actually helpful in many situations. Hepful enough that the masterwork mod pack includes the option to blind your dwarfes temporarily and calls it "encourage dwarf"
You can capture a FB with harmless dust effect and expose the squad to the dust explosion. They will get their eyes stained with dust and lose vision, till they visit a well and clean themselves.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

napancux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:10:47 am »

Now we need to find a way to blind our dwarfs on an industrial scale.

Because interrupting minning after seeing cave monsters is too undwarfy.
There's no choice. Only will.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:15:49 am »

And because the miner has a fair chance to actually brutalize the monster with his "mining" pick.

How about a reaction creating a boulder that immediately evaporates and spread a syndrome that causes loss of eye function?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 05:12:24 am »

If you're going to mod, couldn't you just remove dwarves eyes? Could rename them to blind cave dwarves.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:06:50 am »

But what if you want the non-military dwarves to flee from danger? It might actually save them from the horrors of the deep.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »

But what if you want the non-military dwarves to flee from danger? It might actually save them from the horrors of the deep.

My dwarves, like many others, immediately run in the worst possible direction(Excluding right towards the threat)whenever faced with such a dilemma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:13:34 pm »

There is one downside to blindness - if I recall correctly, it results in a massive reduction in skill for all jobs, resulting in slower working and lower quality goods.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.